Inpection.............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
What does a sweeper look for when inspecting you flu- pipe anything that I couldn't do myself with a thourough brushing? Also, when I'm gunning up the stove from cold tp 6- 700* to clean the pipes, I hear a ting ting'ing at the warm up. Is this the metal expanding or any creosote depostes getting fried? Also- I burned a C.S.L. loge recently, how good are they really...............

Look for warping or any other separation at the flue joints, look for any visible corrosion and make sure you don't have glazed soot. The tinging is the metal expanding and is normal. CSL logs are good for "drying" creosote out, a brush is still needed to actually remove the soot.

Well there's a pro sweep/installer here that does not recommend those creosote cleaning logs. Apparently the government took them to court and won an injunction against false advertising.

Creosote has to be brushed out...yeah you can do it yourself it's not rocket science. But as in anything there are procedures/techniques established to establish standards. A lot of long time burners clean their own stoves as well as calling in a pro sweep once a year...after all we do play with fire here.

Sweepers also clean the inside of the stoves/inserts too.

The chimney sweep institute of America lets CSL slap their logo on their packaging so there must be some merit to them. Like I said nothing actually removes creosote but a brush, those logs or creaway will help with situations where you have 2nd or 3rd degree soot.

Shane said:
The chimney sweep institute of America...
I think you meant "The Chimney Safety Institute of America".

Thanks guys- I've been burning some garbage that has left a good coating on the glass that I've scrapped of with a razor blade. I went ahead and got a CSL log as the 1+ foot of snow isn't lending well to a rooftop venture making a brushout out of the question........

Update; when I mentioned burning garbage I was referring to questionable seasoned wood as it looked like the wood was sweating when first tossed into the box. I got up for a sweep yesterday, last day of theyear, eh- and the chimney cap hadda sticky crusty coating on it, even the bird guard mesh caught a little of it. Looking down the pipe looked like an ahsma patients constricted airway, yes- a good deal of build up, but fluffy stuff that I'm attributing to the CSL log I burned fairly recently. Thing is, the coating on the glass- it was a good baked on coating that nail polish or window cleaner had no effect on and I resorted to scrapping it of with a razor blade. Well- I can sleep easy now that everything is sparkling clean................

Edit; about the CSL log, I know it doesn't replace a mechanical sweeping our of deposits, I guess what I was asking can they help extend the time to the next sweep as thwarted by incliment weather........................

WoodMann said:
Update; when I mentioned burning garbage I was referring to questionable seasoned wood as it looked like the wood was sweating when first tossed into the box.

That's very likely your creosote problem not totally seasoned wood. Use smaller splits burn hotter and if you stay on top of it like you are...you should be OK.

Yeah- I got lazy, we've had a very mild winter then I got caught with mt pants down with a sudden blast of snowand I haven't been squirrling away wood under the overhang so whatever easy peices I could get my hands on I burned. I'm gonna go dig up my split/ seasoned stuff; this is my 2nd season with a wonderful woodstove...................

WoodMann, you could always place a toboggan up there on the roof. A nice flat surface to stand on. lol Caution: don't try this at home folks.

I have a flat roof as it is, just need a calm and preferrably clear day with nice tremeratures as I take apart the flue directly above the stove to thouroughly sweep out the 45* angles.........................

Average pane of window glass costs much less than the ceramic in a fireplace door. Wet newspaper with some ashes on it would clean those as well as windex, maybe better. How much did you spend on windex last year?

It's your fireplace, so you got to do what you want to with it. I'd hate for someone to read advice to put pumice on the glass and scrub the hell out of it, and actually do it and end up with scratched and nasty murky glass to look through.

This is what I've been using, and has been used, in the 20+ yr old insert I have.

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=43

The stuff costs about 7 bucks... lasts nearly the entire season. I use a wet paper towel initially, takes off the loose stuff and soot... what's left I scrub off with a damp paper towel with a quarter sized dollop of this stuff on it. Don't let it dry there! Just polish it off with a dry towel as soon as it is as clean as you want it to be. Comes off clear glass with a slipper feel to it. Streaks will polish off with a dry paper towel.

It leaves a film on the glass that makes the next time you clean it simple... it has some fine abrasives in it, and a strong surfactant to break up the baked on stuff. It's pretty much the same stuff you use on a ceramic stovetop.

But, like I said... "To each his own."

Thanks Leon, I've been meaning to get some stuff meant for the ceramic window. Last year I didn't have trouble, really as I was adequately prepared(wood wise) and it was a pretty warm seaon, too. I'm always learning, I think I've got the wood cuting/ processing end down so now I'm gonna focus on burning optimally................

I use the "Creo-Shot" product from Meeco, Rutland sells basically the same thing call "quick shot" throw them in the stove once or twice a month. They are not a substitute for chimney cleaning, just helps prevent that heavy build up that catches fire. Meeco also makes a great glass cleaner. I always thought that any non-abrasive cleaner would work, but Jotul sent a memo out saying do not use Windex or any other ammonia based cleaner to clean the "glass" on a wood stove. According to them, the ammonia, when heated will etch the glass and in time, may cause spider webbing and possible breakage. Anyone else hear of that?

Someone here said that ammonia and some well water, cause of mineral content, could leave a frosted effect on the glass. Since then I just use bottled water and a paper towel every morning before re loading. In about a minute it's done and I like clean clean stove glass.

The main reason I like the cleaner is it leaves the glass "slick". Actually slippery, and the next time you clean a wet paper towel takes the majority of the soot off, and then just a dab of cleaner will do it.

Anytime you throw a load of wood in a stove or insert, and then close down for the night, it's going to soot up the glass. Can't be helped. Yes, if you let it burn hot it will keep the glass clean. Heck, I've burned the glass clean on numerous occasions. But for a long burn so I can get my beauty sleep, I get dirty glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.