input needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolidge

Dec 16, 2008
Maine
I cant seem to find any "real world" users for the Portage and Main boilers. They are not out of the question but i am now looking at the Econoburn EBW 200-o. Same exact thing as the indoor unit except it has a "house" around it. Any feedback from the outdoor unit or is it too early? I need to replace the old Tarm with something more efficient, my latest calculation are 12 cord this year. Although no nightime feedings like for the Englander 28-3500, the Englander used less wood, 5 to 6 cords(off course its air and not water) and with all my remodeling the vents are now covered up, only had two anyway. Now the girlfreind wants to add heat upstairs(dont know why) we havent had it since we bought this place and my thinking is the Tarm will not be able to keep up if i install some baseboard.

Note: All fiberglass and cellulose is getting replace with foam eventually.

No comment on the outdoor unit, but the indoor units have an excellent reputation, so I don't see how there would be any big issues with the outdoor unit. However the Econoburn website doesn't seem to have a lot of info about them, other than that they exist... I'd want to know what sort of insulation that "house" had, if there was any provision for freeze protection, and details like that... I do think it's a good idea for those that really do want the "outhouse boiler" form factor.

I haven't seen ANY comments on the Portage and Main units from people that were actually using them, but I would tend to be nervous given the poor records of some of the other gassers being put out by OWB companies like the CB unit with it's bare steel secondary combustion chamber...

That said, my overall reaction is that I would far rather build something a little bigger in the way of a structure and have a "boiler shed" that was big enough to hold an indoor version unit, with room for storage and / or firewood, plus enough room to be out of the weather myself when tending the unit. (Assuming I didn't figure out a way to put the unit INSIDE which is where I would really want it...)

Gooserider

coolidge said:
I cant seem to find any "real world" users for the Portage and Main boilers. They are not out of the question but i am now looking at the Econoburn EBW 200-o. Same exact thing as the indoor unit except it has a "house" around it. Any feedback from the outdoor unit or is it too early? I need to replace the old Tarm with something more efficient, my latest calculation are 12 cord this year. Although no nightime feedings like for the Englander 28-3500, the Englander used less wood, 5 to 6 cords(off course its air and not water) and with all my remodeling the vents are now covered up, only had two anyway. Now the girlfreind wants to add heat upstairs(dont know why) we havent had it since we bought this place and my thinking is the Tarm will not be able to keep up if i install some baseboard.

I'm not sure if you saw the P&M Youtube video. This sure looks impressive, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
coolidge said:

I'm not sure if you saw the P&M Youtube video. This sure looks impressive, Randy

I tend to take manufacturer produced / sponsored videos, and other info w/ a sizable Siberian salt mine grain of salt... Not saying they are "lying" per se, but w/ a bit of careful wording, selective editing, and so forth, I'm sure you could make a YUGO look "impressive"...

Seems to me like having a lot of positive user reviews (coming from some place other than the manufacturer or a sales droid) is far more convincing as a sales tool... That we aren't seeing people showing up here with P&M units says to me that either they aren't actually putting many units on the ground, or that they are so totally non-adjustable, automatically "plug & pray" "Just Works" that nobody has felt a need to log in here and post about their experiences... Judging by the number of odd ball brands that DO show up here, I'm more inclined to think it's the former...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
coolidge said:

I tend to take manufacturer produced / sponsored videos, and other info w/ a sizable Siberian salt mine grain of salt... Not saying they are "lying" per se, but w/ a bit of careful wording, selective editing, and so forth, I'm sure you could make a YUGO look "impressive"...

Seems to me like having a lot of positive user reviews (coming from some place other than the manufacturer or a sales droid) is far more convincing as a sales tool... That we aren't seeing people showing up here with P&M units says to me that either they aren't actually putting many units on the ground, or that they are so totally non-adjustable, automatically "plug & pray" "Just Works" that nobody has felt a need to log in here and post about their experiences... Judging by the number of odd ball brands that DO show up here, I'm more inclined to think it's the former...

Gooserider
Understood Goose, I based my feelings on the design of the unit(many pass heat exchanger etc) & it sure seemed to be burning clean & quality made. This just appeared to be a nice unit. Whether they were making a silk purse out of a sows ear, I can't say for sure though, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.