Input on a new/used saw purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basod

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2009
Mount Cheaha Alabama
So I had a bit of time and swung by the local stihl dealer yesterday.
They didn't have a 362 or 440/441 in stock to pickup and feel.

They did have a 391, not having the 362 to stack it next too I'm curious from the CAD experts what you're getting between the two or even the 3 saws 362/391/441.
I'm not adverse to the used market either, reading through all the latest "pick me a new saw threads"
The 362 keeps coming back as an all around winner.

The old 041 still runs like a champ but after bucking up a big red oak last week my left hand was getting numb. I hate to buy a similar powered saw and have the old girl sit in the garage for ergonomic reasons. I'm sure the chain speed and power anti-vibe would push me to never pick it up again

So I had a bit of time and swung by the local stihl dealer yesterday.
They didn't have a 362 or 440/441 in stock to pickup and feel.

They did have a 391, not having the 362 to stack it next too I'm curious from the CAD experts what you're getting between the two or even the 3 saws 362/391/441.
I'm not adverse to the used market either, reading through all the latest "pick me a new saw threads"
The 362 keeps coming back as an all around winner.

The old 041 still runs like a champ but after bucking up a big red oak last week my left hand was getting numb. I hate to buy a similar powered saw and have the old girl sit in the garage for ergonomic reasons. I'm sure the chain speed and power anti-vibe would push me to never pick it up again

391 would stack up in power to the 361 but much heavier. It really comes down to what you can spend. The old 041 not going to stack up well to a new 441. (For the reason you stated)
What size are you and build? I like the most power I can get and still handle the saw with ease. For me that's a 460. Lot of guys around here are big or strong enough for a 660. So it really is choice but no bigger than your cutting I would go 361 or 441. jmo

Reactions: Nixon
How big is the wood? if a 20" bar is all you need to run then the 362 will do great. If you need that 28" occasionally then keep it on the 041 or go 441/461 and don't look back. Best part about going with the 441/461 would be running the 20" bar with an 8 pin rim sprocket. My 460's rock 20" bars through oak with 8 pin rims and they don't even work at it. :cool:

I'm 6-4 260 so the size/weight aren't huge sticking points -I 've been wielding the 041 as primary saw for ~5yrs.

I get into some good sized oak 30ish range nothing that a 20" won't get from over the top or rolling over.
The 28" hasn't been on the saw since I pinched the 20 a couple years ago on a big pine - it just isn't balanced that well.
Other than the occasional stump butt that lays chest high I have little use for it - those pieces are more work than their worth anyways

One thing I've noticed is bucking spikes on only one side on these new saws - any issues with turning in the cut?
The entire frame& case were plastic on the two I handled is this the same on the pro saws? The 391 did still seem heavy for all the plastic

One thing I've noticed is bucking spikes on only one side on these new saws - any issues with turning in the cut?
Nope.

If your not in a hurry, I'm going to have some video of my 460's chewing up some Oak real soon.

The pro saws have the bottom half of the crankcase built into the saw chassis for enormous weight savings. The engine in a 391 is a separate unit I believe (like the 390 before it) mounted to a plastic chassis. That's a lot of redundant material compared to a pro saw but much cheaper/easier to manufacture.

I'm 6-4 260 so the size/weight aren't huge sticking points -I 've been wielding the 041 as primary saw for ~5yrs.

I get into some good sized oak 30ish range nothing that a 20" won't get from over the top or rolling over.
The 28" hasn't been on the saw since I pinched the 20 a couple years ago on a big pine - it just isn't balanced that well.
Other than the occasional stump butt that lays chest high I have little use for it - those pieces are more work than their worth anyways

The entire frame& case were plastic on the two I handled is this the same on the pro saws? The 391 did still seem heavy for all the plastic

6'4" 260 carry what ever! I like bump spikes over double dawgs.............

Unless $ is an issue get a 460. If that hurts the wallet too much go 362.

So I went to the other dealer(actually closer south of me)
MS362 feels nice/balanced $700 - nearly the same dry weight as the old 041
MS441 a bit bulkier(similar size to the 391) $900 both saws are dressed with 20in bars
The 441 has an ES bar .050 33RSC the 362 with an E bar this is hollow to save weight but I wasn't 100% sure if it's .050

The salesman said I knew more about the saws the anyone in there:) thanks to all the help here

362 top of my list if buying a new saw anytime soon.
Power & light weight.
My top choices:

25 - MS362.jpg

OR:

Husq562 555 372 spec chart.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.