Insert advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boilermaker57

Nov 26, 2021
Brunswick, OH
Greetings from sunny Ohio! I’m having some trouble deciding on a route to take with a fireplace insert. I know this topic has been beat to death but I want to make sure I’m making the correct choice. My firebox is 36” wide by 28” height, 24” deep and tapers to 19” wide at the back. I’ve been looking at inserts and have delayed it until next season with lead times like they are. I’ve been looking at the Lopi/FX large insert. I’m pretty sure some firebrick will have to be removed in the rear to accommodate. The installing rep said that can be done, no problem. I’ve now been looking at the Clydesdale. The same rep talked me out of it because they haven’t been released yet from the factory and he’s unsure when it will be available. Since I’m going to wait until this summer to install anything my options are pretty open at this point. The 1st and 2nd story total 3200sq ft with the living room being 2 stories. House is 20 years old and fairly well insulated

1. Does anyone recommend anything different size wise or manufacturers. I have plenty of floor space to heat.
  2. This will be used to supplement the 98% furnace.
  3. Is it acceptable to remove firebrick to accommodate a larger insert without sacrificing structural integrity of chimney?
  4. My wife already said no to a stove and wants to stick with an insert. We have semi modern decor so I agree that a stove would look silly in the firebox
  5. Do you think any manufacturers will come out with any new models that will be compliant with the tax credit? I know the Clydesdale does which is why I decided to hold off a few months
  6. Do you think the insert will make a difference in the temperature in the house? All bedrooms are on the second story with no long hallways. Everything is pretty open to second floor from the living room with the fireplace.

I appreciate your help! May your wood be dry, fires hot, and your nights warm!!

I remember when my wife said no to replacing this old smoke dragon,she said it's got character, my response was character does not get up 3 times a night to load this up.told her if she was going to get up every night we would keep it.bought an enviro few weeks later.

IMG_0393.JPG

While you decide, start putting wood up to dry. Depending on the species of wood, it'll take 2, sometimes 3 years of being split and stacked to dry.