Insert and whole house redesign

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lloyd the redneck

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2016
Western mn
well the wife has decided we are done with the old smoke dragon insert. we are looking at a few different inserts our local dealer is quadrafire and jotul . im looking for a big firebox and large glass viewing window non catalytic. the quad 5100i has caught my attention. right now we have an 82 model arrow slammer install. I plan to install everything myself. I know I need 6" chimney liner and the accessories. the insert is to provide heat when we are home, so it would run 4 days without shuting down then be off the other 3. I have a corn stove that runs pretty much 24/7. the house is aprox 2400 sq ft. the other day I went down to get started cleaning and tuning up the oil boiler only to find out she finally rusted out. so now there is no back up heat. im planning to replace it with a modulating condesning propane boiler. so I have some peace of mind when im gone for days in a row and the wife is home alone. so the propane would do the hard work and the insert would help offset the gas. so im looking for ideas and sugestions. on a insert and a boiler.