Insert Help-C350 vs Montpelier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike508

Jul 17, 2017
MA
Hi Friends,

I was disappointed to find out that my first two insert choices will not fit in my fire place (#1.Blazeking Ashford 25, #2 Jotul C450). And yes others will fit but wife has veto'd based on looks (sorry BK Princess).The two choices of wood burning inserts that will fit and pass her look test are the Jotul C350 and the Vermont Castings Montpelier. I could use some help understanding if one of these inserts would be better for my needs.

I live in New England and would like to keep a 400sqft family room heated. The room opens via a 4ft opening to the kitchen and 1500sqft area beyond. I also have an additional 2000sqft upstairs but was only planning on having this insert supplement my natural gas, forced air system. Really i just want the 400sqft room with the fireplace to stay nice and toasty in the winter.

I have read mixed things about the Montpelier. It looks beautiful, but some ppl have struggled with getting it to perform and the EPA numbers are not amazing (10k-28k BTUs/hr). I have the opposite problem with the Jotul C350 because the only advice i can find when someone asks is to get the c450 instead (not helpful for me since it will not fit). The EPA numbers are ~15% better (more BTUs/hr).

My concern is the c350 is really small (~1.4cubic ft firebox) and i suspect it will need constant feeding also wife prefers the look of the Montpelier (2cubic ft firebox so hopefully will need less feeding).

Any other thoughts to help me in my decision making process would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

I am a previous owner of the Jotul C350. You are correct that it has a very small firebox and will need wood often. It does put out some heat and would suffice for the room you are describing it being placed in. However, in my experience, the C350 is basically a wood fueled version of a little electric space heater and is not capable of whole home heating.

I have no experience with the Vermont Castings unit. I am a firm believer in getting as big of a unit as you can; you will only be disappointed if you get a smaller unit. Remembering an old adage: "You can build a small fire in a big stove, but you can't build a big fire in a small stove". It can be difficult, but the increased heat output will make your wife much happier with something that isn't totally as aesthetically pleasing as opposed to being cold all of the time with only something nice to look at.

What type and dimensions are your fireplace?

I've had two ppl come out now and measure it, both selling different lines and together I think they sell all the major lines. I wish i could just give rectangular numbers but the fireplace is a shape that tapers every which way so any width number is only relevant at a given depth and height. But for an example at 21.5" high there is 17.25"of depth and at that same depth there is 22" of width, as you move out of the firebox the numbers only get bigger. At the entrance there is 26" of height with 36" of width but tapper in fast.

I do have a question about heat output. Both stoves give an EPA BTU rating. Is this rating done under the same conditions and therefore a way to compare heat output of each stove? I understand that BTUs and efficiency are calculated under conditions that most homeowners would never see as well as unique to the lab doing the testing, but I imagine that for EPA testing the test must be done under the same conditions, thus is the EPA BTU range of 10,000-27,600 BTUs for the VC compared to the 11,420-34,200 BTUs for the Jotul an accurate way to judge the heart out put of each stove? Does this mean the Jotul puts out ~15% more heat or is comparing this number not meaningful?

Thanks,
Mike

Between the two stoves, the VC is a bigger heater than the Little Jotul. Jotul makes great stoves, they just go to work everyday with little fuss. I've installed and cleaned many of both, the VC has a blower that historically was noisy, unless its been changed. The VC also has a much better fire view. If those two are the only two that would fit, I'd opt for the VC, but run the blower on low from the get-go. Good luck.