Insert Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biozoo3

Apr 8, 2013
Durham, NC
Hi,

I'm curious to know if what I have in my 1940's Bungalow I just purchased is indeed a 'Grandma Bear' Series by Fisher? It seems to fit that title exactly. Also, I read somewhere else that the 'inserts by Fisher don't have bear names'? Is this correct? Mine is definitely an insert, but wood burning stove. Can someone please enlighten me if what I have here is a true Grandma Bear? I'm trying to sell it, it's in pristine condition and is in excellent working condition too. It's definitely NOT a Honey Bear and they say that and a Polar Bear and another 'Bear Name' are the inserts only? I'm a bit confused at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and many Cheers!

Ashley

Attachments

• Fireplace1.jpg
    Fireplace1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 589
  • Fireplace2.jpg
    Fireplace2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 654
Yours looks like an insert by the shape of the corners of the top. Freestanding stoves have rounded corners. But your cover plate across the front covers the outlet vent that gives an Insert away. Your top cover plate covers the air outlet, where a blower would exhaust the hot air into the room. Can't tell if thereis an air slot behind it, or if there is a step top like a stove. I'm only guessing by the corners that it's an Insert.

A full size "Insert" is called a "Fireplace Insert". They do not have any Bear name. They use Grandma doors. A Honey Bear Insert is smaller than a full size insert, and so is the Polar Bear Insert made for zero clearance prefab fireplace.

Grandma will have a step top as shown below. This doesn't show in your picture with the plate in front; Notice rounded corners of top plate, front and rear.

GM III Ind. 3.jpg

An insert has a double wall for an air space between firebox and outer shell. This airspace is even across the bottom. A blower will push air from under the firebox, (or from the sides in the case of side mounted blowers) up the back, and out the top front. They do not have the bent step top. Instead, the front is single wall like a freestandng stove. The double wall box is only on the back half that goes into the fireplace. They have no legs.

Canadian Insert 1.jpg
They should also have a damper on a rod in the outlet. Early models were controlled with a chain, later models with a lever.

Here's a picture of one on it's back showing air space top and bottom; And the larger outer shell on the rear half;

Insert on it's back.jpg

An insert is also very deep front to back compared to a freestanding stove. They measure 32.5 inches deep outside, without ash fender. (shelf)

Dimensions below;
Insert drawing.jpg

Thanks so much! So, I basically have a Fisher Fireplace Insert with Grandma Doors. That makes sense. Do you happen to know the date(s) of those? I'm just trying to be sure that everything is accurate, being as I'm trying to sell it. In that case, how much would an insert like this normally go for in excellent condition?

I think your deflector plate across the top is upside down and the mount edge is blocking the air outlet. It should be a heat shield on an upward angle to direct heat away from fireplace mantle above it.

They started in 1980, and most had a UL tag on the right front corner. Price is whatever someone is willing to pay.
The glass door model was an Insert IV and should draw a premium. Plated doors are also more desirable and drive the price up. Years ago Inserts were very common, and least desirable. Freestanding stoves are more versatile as far as different installations. You need someone who has a fireplace and wants an insert for it. A blower helps considerably. Originals are hard to find. Retrofit blowers are not cheap, but available. Most installations will require a chimney liner and a boot to connect to the Insert. So if the buyer is aware of the costs of installation, they aren't going to offer you much. They also came with a screen for open door burning to view the fire.

Here's a picture of the diverter across top installed correctly (I believe that's what you have) The air slot across top should be open all the way across to let the heat out. This is where most of the heat comes from. The installation is important to direct the heat outward away from combustable mantles.

Insert hand painted doors w blower 3.jpg Insert Front 10-28-80.jpg

Here's the manual in Hearth Wiki;
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/864627af01a961d20c7230e13bf41340/

Coaly the last picture of the insert is showing a blower. Is that a retro blower? The polar bear blowers went under the ash pan like that one does.

The Insert on the left was on eBay last year. I used it for the side profile shot that shows the angle of the shield.

I assume it came with the insert........... The guy did a nice job hand painting the doors. Another picture of it with doors open shows nickel shields, so it's probably plated doors that needed replating, so he went the cheap route with paint.

Insert hand painted doors w blower.jpg Insert hand painted doors w blower 1.jpg

Insert hand painted doors w blower 2.jpg Insert hand painted doors w blower 7.jpg

Insert hand painted doors w blower 5.jpg

Now here is a Polar Bear with a "Retro" blower :)

Polar Bear for sale 850.jpg

Coaly the last picture of the insert is showing a blower. Is that a retro blower? The polar bear blowers went under the ash pan like that one does.
I have cleaned a few Fishers that had this blower set-up.
I have sold about 4 few Fisher Inserts that had the blower mounted to the surround panels, there was a cut out in the panel that the blower mounted to, and it blew through the side and came out of the top. All the ones that had the blower mounted to the panel were Pre- UL.

All the ones that had the blower mounted to the panel were Pre- UL.

All documentation I have suggests all Inserts were UL Listed. Many did not have tags, as well as many freestanding stoves before 1980. (It's not a case of missing tags, since they were mounted with rivets and there are no holes for the missing tags)

Perhaps some installation kits were made for side blowers, and face plates made later, or by other manufacturers were made for blowers mounted in different locations?

Here's an early one from 1980 with the side slots in the face plate for surface mount blowers from 1980.

Insert Right Side 10-28-80.jpg Insert Tag 10-28-80.jpg

I've never seen an early one with the pull chain damper that has the keyhole slot in the face plate, also have the side slots for surface mount blowers.
So these surface mount slots may be manufacturer specific from whoever made that particular kit.

I've pulled out a few that had the tags and few that didn't. ?
The last one I sold had the pull chain damper, but the slots in the panel for the blower were not original, they had been cut in the panel with a torch.

Hello all I just found this wonderful site. We just found a Fisher insert stove and has some light rust on the doors. We got an excellent deal on this stove $75.00.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 412
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 428
You do realize that it is illegal to sell or install that stove in Washington state. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.