Insert install checklist Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crowinghen

Oct 2, 2012
I'm pretty sure we are going to purchase a Blaze King Princess insert. Our home is a 1600 sq foot rambler , not very open concept, with a fireplace in the center of the house, in the living /dining room area. I don't really care for the looks of the insert, but it should fit in the firebox easily and like how it protrudes into the room more than most. It's between the Princess and the Costco escape, but I just think the BK might serve our needs better ( long burn time, able to burn cleanly on the lower temps, hopefully it will keep us warm in the very cold also, would love opinions)
I finally found someone who, after a little prodding, will install an insulated liner for us. I will be getting a permit for the installation.
I would be interested in hearing what all should be addressed by the installers to ensure a proper installation. An insulated block above the back of the insert to keep the heat from going up the chimney? insulation up top? I would also be interested in opinions as far as users of the BK princess in like scenarios. This will be our first year in the house, we have wood that we brought from our last house, has been cut/split/drying for 2+ years, I'm pretty sure it's fir, hemlock and alder. We are in Ellensburg, Wa.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sounds good. An insulated liner is strongly advised, especially for a shorter chimney liner. Will it be at least 15' ?

Ecellent. There are many posts on operating the Princess and Princess insert in the annual everything BK threads. Search on this thread for Princess.

I believe @pointdexter has a BK. He's in Alaska. Suggests a BK is ok in the cold.
However, heating a home, rather than a room, depends a lot on the layout, ceiling height. Warm air goes up and does not spread easily to rooms only connected by a door or hallway without some force (cold return) air.

It can be done, but will require some thought, testing, and experimenting. But a wood burner should have no issue with the that...