Insert Installation Q

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

P_K

Sep 16, 2020
Northern Catskills NY
Hi, long time lurker first time poster!

I'm considering installing an Drolet 1500 Escape insert into my second floor masonry fireplace which currently has a 10" single wall stainless steel liner which runs the full length of the chimney down to the damper. How exactly would this work if the insert has a 6" connection? Would I need to run an insulated liner 6" within the existing 10" one? Would this configuration meet building codes? Few photos below, I'm also wondering how this would be detailed at the top of the chimney give that the existing liner projects a ways above the masonry.

Any help or thoughts or impressions on the Drolet 1500 Escape would be super appreciated. I think the fire box is sort of an odd shape so I may be a bit limited on which inserts would fit. I'm located at 2,100 ft above sea level, Northern Catskills NY, poorly insulated 1960s house.

ZKp1U0y.jpg

NYgvmLN.jpg

OHPSGOk.jpg

eIrga4N.png

That looks like a Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace. Many do not permit insert installation. Do you know the make and model of this fireplace? It is often on a small tag in the door frame.

That looks like a Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace. Many do not permit insert installation. Do you know the make and model of this fireplace? It is often on a small tag in the door frame.
No it's a masonry fireplace with a stainless liner

Hi, long time lurker first time poster!

I'm considering installing an Drolet 1500 Escape insert into my second floor masonry fireplace which currently has a 10" single wall stainless steel liner which runs the full length of the chimney down to the damper. How exactly would this work if the insert has a 6" connection? Would I need to run an insulated liner 6" within the existing 10" one? Would this configuration meet building codes? Few photos below, I'm also wondering how this would be detailed at the top of the chimney give that the existing liner projects a ways above the masonry.

Any help or thoughts or impressions on the Drolet 1500 Escape would be super appreciated. I think the fire box is sort of an odd shape so I may be a bit limited on which inserts would fit. I'm located at 2,100 ft above sea level, Northern Catskills NY, poorly insulated 1960s house.

ZKp1U0y.jpg

NYgvmLN.jpg

OHPSGOk.jpg

eIrga4N.png
If the 10" liner was properly insulated you wouldn't nessecarily have to insulate the 6" one but I probably still would and yes it would absolutely meet code.

As I understand it, that metal door frame cover thing was added within the last 20 years or so and the masonry fireplace was site-built.

No manufacturer branding evident anywhere.

bholler is correct. Sorry for the confusion.
No it's a masonry fireplace with a stainless liner
OK, I switched to my computer from my phone and see that you are correct. Thanks.

bholler is correct. Sorry for the confusion.

OK, I switched to my computer from my phone and see that you are correct. Thanks.
You just need better glasses old man. Hahahaha.

If the 10" liner was properly insulated you wouldn't nessecarily have to insulate the 6" one but I probably still would and yes it would absolutely meet code.
Thanks! How would I detail this at the top of the chimney? 10" to 6" pipe adapter then cap? I seem to be having an issue with the bricks on the facing flaking apart (top photo) which I'd imagine is from water infiltration around the roof flashing. Want to make sure I get this weatherproofed correctly.

Thanks! How would I detail this at the top of the chimney? 10" to 6" pipe adapter then cap? I seem to be having an issue with the bricks on the facing flaking apart (top photo) which I'd imagine is from water infiltration around the roof flashing. Want to make sure I get this weatherproofed correctly.
I would cut the 10" down just below the top of the chimney and use a normal 6" top setup. And that flashing clearly needs replaced there should never be tar on flashing

Id stick an insulated line within the 10" liner, looking at the heat spots at the chimney cap, I would say that the 10" liner has seen better days

Thanks all, the guidance is much appreciated. Just pulled the trigger on the Drolet 1500 and 6" liner kit, hoping it gets here soon as we're suddenly dipping down into the low 30s overnights. I'll re-flash the chimney once I'm done with the install.

Thanks again.