Insert on the way, do I need a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fourthbean

Oct 17, 2021
N. Texas
Have a Drolet 1800-I along with a liner coming to me. Excited!

Is it common to just leave the flu open once there’s a liner there? Or should I install something up top that can give it an air seal? Down in Texas so I’d prefer not to have a conduit to outside during the cooling months of the year. Is it common to just rely on the input damper on the insert to control airflow when fireplace is not in use?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, appreciate all the help!

Dampers are not put on chimney liners. There would be no way to access it.

Dampers are not put on chimney liners. There would be no way to access it.
Yeah I wasn’t sure if one would be put at the very top maybe so the liner could still be swept. Sounds like one vote for “hey you crazy Texan don’t put no damper on it!” Ha ha.

With any luck I’ll get this installed and have a northerner buy my house in a decade thinking Texans know how to do a fireplace.

Thanks!

I just installed my 1800i and have the same thought. I have 24’ straight up insulated. I read here in the forums that Drolet has a solution for over drafting. I read they sent out washers for the secondary burn tubes. I have a feeling I might need them but at the same time really like to have a good draft at higher outside temps living here in the south. So I think it’s a balancing act. Break in fires coming soon.

Reactions: Fourthbean