Insert options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tsiskwa

Aug 29, 2019
Maryland
Greetings! After much deliberation a couple months ago, we eventually decided that it was best to wait on spending thousands on doing anything to our beloved fireplace. But then, we went to get the flue cleaned, and the chimney sweep discovered issues with cracked chimney tiles, mortar and sealant. Said we would need to repair in order to safely use the fireplace, and quoted in the neighborhood of $4k. If we have to spend money anyway, we figure why not spend a bit more and do an insert afterall. So, because we're working with different people than we were a couple months back, we're looking at different insert options, and I have some questions on which I'm hoping we might get input.

We like the look of the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5, but as we understand, it has a small viewing window, and seeing the fire is important to us. Would it be possible for my wife to cook on the part of this insert that juts out into the room in the case of a power outage?

That took us to looking at the Blaze King Ashford 25. This has a larger viewing window, and seems to also have longer burn times, which is a priority. However, the aesthetics otherwise seem not as great, and whatever we get will admittedly spend most of the year sans fire.

EDIT: Also curious about the Vermont Castings Montpelier. Does anyone know anything about a 3" extension option I read about elsewhere? Looks to have a decently sized window, and certainly looks nicer than the Ashford 25.

Are there any other significant factors to compare among these options? Are there other inserts people might recommend that could do a good job balancing aesthetics of the stove itself with large viewing area, and the potential to hold a pot for cooking?

A photo of the current fireplace with measurements is attached, however the chimney sweep says our firebox is bigger than the brick opening, and we can remove the arch to fit a larger insert.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Fireplace measurements.jpg
    Fireplace measurements.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
If seeing the fire is important to you then a blaze king may not be for you. They get their best burn times by being a black box. While I love the look of the ashford 25 cause it is similar looking to the rockport we have it spends most of its time being in a black box mode.

First question. You listed two different technologies in your thread. The bk uses a combustor while the other does not. Is using a cat stove ok with you?

Second. Your dimensions seem like they will take almost any insert or the average size insert so that is a good thing. But is the depth of the fireplace the same as the bottom as it is on the top in the middle and sides of the arch?

Third. Is that a double sided fireplace? If so are you planning on blocking one side?

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

It is double sided, yes. When we first started a couple months back, we were investigating doing two inserts back to back. However, the concept is unfortunately cost prohibitive. New guy thinks he can close off the kitchen side in an aesthetically pleasing manner so that it can still be used for candle ambiance, etc.

The fireplace behind the brick is straight on all sides, so yes, depth is the same.

Is there a reason to avoid the cat? I’m leaning away from the BK at this point simply based on aesthetics. (Like you said, black box.) I really like images I’ve found of the VC with the Georgian surround, but that does not appear to be on VC’s main website, and they list only the Montpelier II, so I’m concerned I might have found an older model that I like. Any idea on whether that is still available anywhere?

Take a look at the Hampton HI400 insert. It is a cat with a classic face.

The HI400 (now HI500?) are the same as the CI2600, correct? I just watched a video review ( ) which was talking quite a bit about glass blackening. Is this a common issue that people experience? Should this be a reason to avoid the cat stoves, since ambiance is a concern?

HI500 now, correct. My glass gets black at the bottom corners, and there isn't much flame past 2 hours. Wood just bakes with the cat. I do like the stove and have no regrets, but ambiance isn't a major factor for me.