Insert or possible free stand in corner setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brownclown

Sep 8, 2023
10512, NY
Hi . New and 1st post. I am very new to most of this but have been non stop reader for past few weeks so please forgive my ignorance. I am having some trouble finding my setup and how to go best about handling it. I was told prior to my purchase of the house there was an insert that was removed. I currently have an unsafe woodstove installed that I planned only only using for emergency and for most part have only used a handful of times when I installed about 10 years ago. I say "unsafe" because of how i rigged up flue. I am currently tired of paying for crazy oil costs and want to setup correctly. I have an open floor plan upstairs with a living space of about 1000sq ft with less then ideal insulation. My masonry chimney is odd. I can't find examples of similar setups so dont really know what direction to take. I am open to using an insert but would prefer to use a free standing (without legs) I would guess. Unless something better is remmended. I think i want something similar to what I already have but done correctly.

Currently I have about a 10 ft section of single wall pipe ( I believe stove pipe) going up the flue until it hits a bend. I believe it is a 45 degree bend that then travels another foot too another 45 and then exits straight up (I need to investigate actual measurements this weekend, I only recall being perplexed why the flue has bends and why I can't extend my insert out all the way when I did this originally). I believe the whole flue is clay lined but need to confirm. I know the clay on the exit of chimney is 8 1/4" x 8 1/4" outer edge to edge . Would I be able to correctly run an insulated liner through the opening of that size with that size flue and it having what I believe are 2 45 degree bends? Any company or brands you would recommend for purchase? Is the smooth wall or single wall make a difference? Is this better purchased from a hearth store or is big box or online just as good. Im planning on self/friend diy. How big does a 6inch pipe end up by the time you wrap in insulation and cover with mesh? Provided I can actually reline the flue am I better with a stand alone stove or an insert . Im new to this but have yet to find an insert for a corner setup. My opening inside the 2inch corner bar has width of 32 1/2 inch x depth 22 1/2 (to end of brick is 23") x height 26 3/4 ". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much. This site has already helped a ton.

20230907_164405.jpg20230907_164416.jpg20230907_164753.jpg20230907_164810.jpg20230907_165318.jpg20230907_170038.jpg

The current installation is illegal. Stove pipe is not allowed outside of the room envelope and not up a chimney. Insulation adds an inch to the outside diameter of the liner. There is pre-insulated DuraLiner at 6 5/8" OD but in this case, a flexible liner probably would be required.
The height is an issue for a freestanding stove. One option might be to put in an insert with no surround. The Drolet Escape 1800i is a popular model. The Regency 2450i might just fit and it can run on a 5.5" liner. The Drolet might also, but this would require an inquiry into Drolet support to verify in writing.

Reactions: brownclown
The current installation is illegal. Stove pipe is not allowed outside of the room envelope and not up a chimney. Insulation adds an inch to the outside diameter of the liner. There is pre-insulated DuraLiner at 6 5/8" OD but in this case, a flexible liner probably would be required.
The height is an issue for a freestanding stove. One option might be to put in an insert with no surround. The Drolet Escape 1800i is a popular model. The Regency 2450i might just fit and it can run on a 5.5" liner. The Drolet might also, but this would require an inquiry into Drolet support to verify in writing.
Thank you. From coming here, i have learned it is illegal. Any idea of what might have gone in here originally? I just don't understand why it is on a corner edge like this. I will look into running an insert without a surround but cant imagine that would be very aesthetically pleasing for most models.

The insert might not look as bad as you think. Finding a stove under 26” will be tough. I have since wrapped rh liner with a piece of 8” stovepipe to conceal it better. The sides are just flat painted steel.

97D5D382-8B75-4874-AF2F-74D9AABB88E9.jpeg

I pulled the old out today. Scary that I considered that as an emergency option. I was pleasantly surprised to learn I have much more room to run an insulated liner then I thought . I thought the 8 inch clay was my wood flue but learned my fireplace is actually the 13 inch clay. I have no idea how this works . It is an optical illusion.

I spent day cleaning flue . How clean do I need to be if I am going to run a liner? I have scrubbed it for hours but there still some dark areas.

The front view isn't so much of a concern. Yours looks very nice. I am worried about the side view most.
A painted sheet metal panel could be put on the left side or some expanded or perforated metal.

Reactions: brownclown
thank you. i have been going through old post and found one with peoples pictures of running inserts "naked" without shrouds/surrounds and they look great. I think open may actually be a good thing but as ponted out easy enough to cover.