Insert Purchase Plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dan7800

Nov 21, 2022
Upstate NY
Hello, I am considering purchassing a Drolet Escape 1800 i wood insert. How does the following purchase list look? I would be installing it into a masonry chimney with a conventional fire place with the dimensions of 40W opening, 30H opening, 27 depth, 31 back width. I've attached some photos of the fireplace and what I presume to be the air intake. I will be installing the unit with a general contractor (so I do not presume that they are familiarity/allegiant to any specific product). I am looking to provide augmented heat to a 500 sq ft room with 20ft vaulted ceiling while retaining some fireplace ambiance. I do understand that I'd need to purchase a faceplate. (I am open to other sellers for each item)
My questions
  1. How does my "plan" look? Are there any suggestions/alterations?
  2. Is it worth the $400 extra for the Ventis pre insulated liner vs a 304 and wrapping it myself? I have reviewed this post. I have an exterior chimney that would go up about 20-25 feet from the insert.
  3. Should I purchase an air intake kit (It seems like this is a reasonably debated forum topic). I surmise that this could be added in later.
  4. I believe that the 1800 will gain the 26% tax credit, but does the liner/insulation also qualify?
Thanks all, this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

tempImageZ7WQjQ.png IMG_7809.jpeg IMG_7811.jpeg

I just did this install, I went with the preinsulated liner, it was an easy install minus busting out the clay liner (I couldn't fit an insulated liner in it). I did get a face plate, but messed up and it was a hair too small. We ended up not using the face plate, and I like the looks of it better without it.

You will likey need a 30 or 45 degree Elbow to connect the liner to the stove ( depending on how much room you have between the smoke shelf and the top of the stove. You will also likely have to remove the damper and some bricks to get the liner to fit though the smoke shelf.

Hello, I am considering purchassing a Drolet Escape 1800 i wood insert. How does the following purchase list look? I would be installing it into a masonry chimney with a conventional fire place with the dimensions of 40W opening, 30H opening, 27 depth, 31 back width. I've attached some photos of the fireplace and what I presume to be the air intake. I will be installing the unit with a general contractor (so I do not presume that they are familiarity/allegiant to any specific product). I am looking to provide augmented heat to a 500 sq ft room with 20ft vaulted ceiling while retaining some fireplace ambiance. I do understand that I'd need to purchase a faceplate. (I am open to other sellers for each item)
My questions
  1. How does my "plan" look? Are there any suggestions/alterations?
  2. Is it worth the $400 extra for the Ventis pre insulated liner vs a 304 and wrapping it myself? I have reviewed this post. I have an exterior chimney that would go up about 20-25 feet from the insert.
  3. Should I purchase an air intake kit (It seems like this is a reasonably debated forum topic). I surmise that this could be added in later.
  4. I believe that the 1800 will gain the 26% tax credit, but does the liner/insulation also qualify?
Thanks all, this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

View attachment 304075 View attachment 304076 View attachment 304077
I personally don't think pre insulated is worth it. But I have also been wrapping liners for 20 years so it's not a big deal to me. I would spend the money one a heavy wall or mid weight liner not pre insulated

I personally don't think pre insulated is worth it. But I have also been wrapping liners for 20 years so it's not a big deal to me. I would spend the money one a heavy wall or mid weight liner not pre insulated
Thank you very much. Do you think the duravent 304 is a good liner for this, or is another than I should spend my money on.

Also, do you have a link to the liner insulation that you'd recommend?

Thanks
-Dan

I just did this install, I went with the preinsulated liner, it was an easy install minus busting out the clay liner (I couldn't fit an insulated liner in it). I did get a face plate, but messed up and it was a hair too small. We ended up not using the face plate, and I like the looks of it better without it.

You will likey need a 30 or 45 degree Elbow to connect the liner to the stove ( depending on how much room you have between the smoke shelf and the top of the stove. You will also likely have to remove the damper and some bricks to get the liner to fit though the smoke shelf.
Thank you very much for the information. Do you think these are things that a decent general contractor should be able to discern? It sounds like he's installed a dozen or so inserts.

Thank you very much. Do you think the duravent 304 is a good liner for this, or is another than I should spend my money on.

Also, do you have a link to the liner insulation that you'd recommend?

Thanks
-Dan
If you have access to ventis (Olympia) products it would be their hybrid liner

to get the 26% credit it needs to be purchased installed before Dec 31. Next year it drops to 22%. All materials and labor qualify. Just not the Tax.

Reactions: dan7800
Thanks, and does the credit apply to both the insert and all necessary hardware (eg liner, etc...)?
Yes and labor if professionally installed, but not your labor.

A google search only returned pre-insulted vents liners (unless I am missing something). Assuming that I cannot find the hybrid liner, should I go with this: Duravent 304 with insulation wrap
The trade off is longevity. Mid weight will out last the light weight and heavy will outlast both. I used that wrap kits on a light weight liner that won’t even see 1/2 cord a year. I am happy with my choice. I know that some point in the future the liner will need replacing. Not sure when that is but I’m planning 10+ years.

Reactions: bholler
Hmmm, That must have changes since July. however, depending on the unit materials and labor you could get to that 2200. My insert grossed about 7400. 30% of that is 2200.

I am searching for liners, and the only one in my width and length (6 x 35); the only ones that look like they will ship in the next few weeks are from Amazon, for example this.
  1. I know that 316 is overkill, but I am not finding 304. Other than cost, are there drawbacks to going with 316 vs 304, such as weight making it harder to install?
  2. The brand is "Rockford Chimney Supply" does it seem to actually be Durvavent (and therefore a liner recommended to buy)?
Thanks all
-Dan

Contact Rockford directly.

I contacted the Amazon seller and they said it was made by "Rockford Chimney Supply"
I am pretty sure it isn't made by Rockford. I believe they are just a retailer of chimney products

have you looked at Copperfield liners