enigmablaze Posted By enigmablaze, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM

1. enigmablaze

enigmablaze
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    Our installer quoted us for DuraVent, however Olympia's Ventis has our interest for a few reasons, but it seems it isn't used nearly as often so I just want to make sure we're not missing something!

It appears we may have quite a bit of pipe above our roof, since this spot wouldn't have a chase but will be highly visible to us it would be a real boon for it to be powder coated to blend in to the house a bit as opposed to stainless steel. I'm also intrigued by their insulation "healthier" claim, "fume-free" etc. ETA also "forever warranty".

Is there any functional difference? Are they both equally insulated? Draw is a big concern for us so if one has a leg-up that would be good to know. I'm hoping they would both be very tightly sealed at joints to help with that. We want to go Stainless steel for either (just powder coated with the Ventis).

Also, the Ventis offers options of 304L or 316L inner wall pipe, I have no idea which would be preferable here, thoughts? Thank you!

2. enigmablaze

enigmablaze
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    Also seems Ventis' interior wall is .016" while DuraVent is .020", both have .016" for exterior wall in the SS...is that significant?

3. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    You will never notice any difference between the two. "Forever guarantee" and "healthy insulation" is just fluff! They all have a lifetime warranty. I've never used ventis, I do however use dura-vent regularly. I hear ventis is a quality product, as is dura-vent. I'd strongly suggest using whatever your local installer is not only offering, but familiar with. It can be painted, powder coating isn't a must, and very uncommon.

4. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I have yet to see a painted chimney that looked good 5 years down the road. Powder coating will. The reason powder coating is uncommon is because olympia just started doing it a year ago.

And yes duravent is fine but the fit and finish of the ventis is way above duravent. Also is duravent still using 400 series inner wall? I know they used to but dont know now.

5. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    We use ventis and i like it much better. Much better fit and finish. And 304 will be fine for you. But duravent would work well also. Like webby said if your local guys use duravent and they know that system dont make them change.

6. enigmablaze

enigmablaze
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    What does the 304L and 316L mean?

7. edyit

edyit
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2014
    Loc:
    Wilmington NY
    Those are grades of stainless steel. The simple answer is 304 contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel while 316 contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel and 2% molybdenum. The molybdenum is added to help resist corrosion to chlorides.

8. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    What edyit said. But the 316 is needed for coal oil and gas. 304 is enough for wood. There is a better allow for gas but that doesnt matter to you

9. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Ya, the paint does need periodic touch up. We use dura-tech from dura-vent. It fits up pretty nice. We also use TLC from Hart & Cooley, it's fit isn't as good but I like the quality of the pipe. We will probably start using some ventis, I heard they developed a line of pipe to distribute through UBG.

10. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    UBG? We buy direct from them why would you use a middle man? It is a benefit for us because their factory is only about 2 hours from us so iff need be we can either run for something or pay for messenger delivery.

11. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    And like I said duravent is not bad pipe at all I just like ventis better

12. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    United Buyers Group. If a dealer is a UBG member, they are given special prices on items from participating manufacturers. UBG can guarantee a certain amount sales, so they are able to offer the item at a lower price. Kind of like the purchasing power a big box store has. Often manufacturers will make a line of pipe or a stove that's only made available to UBG members.

13. enigmablaze

enigmablaze
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    Sounds good, this is super helpful...sounds like Ventis would be a good option. I've emailed my installer to see what he thinks about using it. I'm not sure if they have or not.