Insert Scroll Fan Diagnosis

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
One of the fans in my Jotul started "singing". Very high pitch but barely noticed by anyone but me. Sounds almost like a thin piece of metal is touching the squirrel cage as it spins.

It spins fine and isn't stiff but I pulled it so I could oil and clean before it fails. Any thoughts what it could be or what I should look for?

Attachments

• Insert Scroll Fan Diagnosis
    20171225_120426.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 85
    20171225_120435 (1).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 91
    20171225_120447.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 91
Bearing failure can start out as a squeal. Clean, then oil the bearings and see if the sound goes away.

So I pulled the offending fan apart and found the bearing that's a bit "tight". They are not sealed but have plastic cap/race covers. I removed the cap and found 6 (?) ball bearings that I regreased but its still not spinning completely free.

It's all back together and it is somewhat better but I guess that bearing needs to be replaced altogether. For the price of a new fan I suppose its worth it but I need to get the exact specs. Ho hum.