insert vs freestanding stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first ten years we were in our home we had an insert in the living room fireplace since it came with the house. We used it exclusively for our winter heating. Last February we replaced it with a new free standing woodstove sitting in front of the fireplace. The free standing stove heats so much better and with much less wood consumption, but the lower wood use is due mostly to it being a more efficient modern stove (Jotul F600). For me though I have to say I most appreciate the beautiful silence of not having the blower unit constantly blowing all winter long. It is so much more tranquil and relaxing to be able to sit and watch the fire in silence!

I have an insert, I like it but free stander will heat better.

Since it is an interior fireplace, the heat that the insert will generate cannot disappear even without the blower running. It will just get stuck behind the surround, transfer to the masonry and then slowly be released into the room. So the problem is not that an insert will not heat without blower, it will just be much more slowly and you run a higher risk of overfiring your stove. (As my wife recently demonstrated since she had not turned on the blower after reloading. Luckily, I caught it before it went over 800 F.) What I do now is to run the fan for the first two to three hours after reloading the insert and then turn it off when the secondaries start to get weaker. I have the feeling I can extend burn times and get less coals in the morning as the firebox stays hotter for longer. Plus, no fan noise and power consumption. It is also nice that our fireplace/chimney is often still above 100 F when I wake up in the morning thereby nicely radiating the heat into the room even when the insert temp has dropped below 150 F. It is very convenient to not have to rekindle the fire first thing in the morning although I have to admit that will change once it gets colder and the stored heat won't be enough.

If there is a power outage I would just pull off the surround and get by that way. The insert would work similar to a freestanding stove sitting in the fireplace then.

Since it is an interior fireplace, the heat that the insert will generate cannot disappear even without the blower running. It will just get stuck behind the surround, transfer to the masonry and then slowly be released into the room. So the problem is not that an insert will not heat without blower, it will just be much more slowly and you run a higher risk of overfiring your stove. (As my wife recently demonstrated since she had not turned on the blower after reloading. Luckily, I caught it before it went over 800 F.) What I do now is to run the fan for the first two to three hours after reloading the insert and then turn it off when the secondaries start to get weaker. I have the feeling I can extend burn times and get less coals in the morning as the firebox stays hotter for longer. Plus, no fan noise and power consumption. It is also nice that our fireplace/chimney is often still above 100 F when I wake up in the morning thereby nicely radiating the heat into the room even when the insert temp has dropped below 150 F. It is very convenient to not have to rekindle the fire first thing in the morning although I have to admit that will change once it gets colder and the stored heat won't be enough.

If there is a power outage I would just pull off the surround and get by that way. The insert would work similar to a freestanding stove sitting in the fireplace then.

He told me that because it was an insert my rates wouldn't be impacted and if it was a free standing wood stove I would have to pay more.
Thats going to completely rely on your carrier and the area in which you live. Our free standing stove did not affect our rate at all and I've actaully heard of people's rates decreasing because they had a free stander installed. I believe there was a thread on here about that a few years ago.

I need to mention that the stove is only meant to heat the room primarily and anything else is a bonus. In Ireland it is very unusual to see an insert with a blower and those that do are larger units more suitable for multi room heating. I would not be using an insert with a blower. Could this cause damage?

I need to mention that the stove is only meant to heat the room primarily and anything else is a bonus. In Ireland it is very unusual to see an insert with a blower and those that do are larger units more suitable for multi room heating. I would not be using an insert with a blower. Could this cause damage?

You'd have to read the manual for the insert you purchase. As mentioned, most use blowers these days and without it you'll be wasting all that heat by sending it up the stack. The only real radiant heat you'll be getting will be from the one side of the stove with the glass. Id just keep the fireplace at that point and not waste the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.