Insert you can cook on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ralphscats

Sep 26, 2017
Ohio, United States
Hello! I've been lurking but haven't found an answer to what I'm trying to find out. It could be that it's here, I just can't locate it.

I currently have a Breckwell pellet insert that I'm not in love with. I've inherited my grams cast iron Dutch oven that I would like to be able to use on my next insert. The only wood insert that I have found with a cooktop is the Regency Hearth Heater. My Dutch oven would overhang the top of the stove, and I would have to extend my hearth for the front clearance.

Has anyone been able to cook soup or other food on the top of a Napolean 1402? I'm thinking about putting a cookie tray on the top to act as a trivet and extend the area to put the Dutch oven on.

My home's square footage is 1200. I don't want to use the stove as my primary heat source. I want to be able to use my grams pot, and be able to have a source of heat in case the power goes out.

Thank you for any input or suggestions on which insert would be best.

This is a perennial topic. There are many past threads with suggestions and experiences. Search on - insert cook - in this forum, titles only and you will get many threads showing up.

The 1402 will provide about 8" of stove top surface. Be sure that most of the dutch oven is solidly on the insert's stove top. You don't want a pot of hot liquid accidentally spilling or falling.

This is a perennial topic. There are many past threads with suggestions and experiences. Search on - insert cook - in this forum, titles only and you will get many threads showing up.

The 1402 will provide about 8" of stove top surface. Be sure that most of the dutch oven is solidly on the insert's stove top. You don't want a pot of hot liquid accidentally spilling or falling.

Thank you. I will try searching with insert cook.

Do you know if the top of the 1402 will actually get hot enough to cook a pot of soup or anything else?

Thank you.

I think the 1402's stove top is direct over the firebox and gets hot enough to cook on. Double-check with a dealer, it's been quite awhile since I have seen one of these units.