inserts: Lopi Answer vs PE Super vs ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acordeon

Nov 20, 2019
Puget Sound, WA
Hi, we are looking to buy a new 2020-compliant insert. We had an old 80's Lopi slammer, which due to advice from all you fine folks here, we decided to replace (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/half-cord-for-3-weeks.178225/).

Our house:
  • N. Puget Sound, WA (mild winters, few days into the teens & 20s but mostly in the 30s & 40s)
  • Single story, 1900 SF
  • Well insulated and sealed, just had some insulation and air sealing done
  • Have central heating, this would be for secondary heat most of the time & primary heat during power outages (not that common currently)
  • Unlined chimney in decent enough shape to accept a liner
We plan to buy from a knowledgeable and well-respected local dealer that sells Lopi, Pacific Energy, and Jotul. We're hoping to spend not that much more than $2k (on the insert itself, installation can be extra) but could go a little higher if necessary.

The salesman at the store steered me toward the Lopi Answer. He thinks Lopis are just better built than PEs for similar cost. He mentioned the thickness of the steel, the door latch mechanism, and a few other things he thinks Lopi does better. However, the Answer is really small. We're not going to be burning every day or overnight. But when we do burn, we want it to really heat the house, especially during an outage. And I'm a bit concerned about getting wood into the Answer's firebox if it's not cut to the perfect length. (We buy our wood pre-cut and split.)

The problem with Lopi is that to get any bigger and stay 2020-compliant, you gotta go to the "hybrid fyre" (seriously, fyre?) inserts that cost quite a bit more, and we'd prefer to stay non-catalytic.

So should we consider the PE Super? It's not much more than the Answer and quite a bit larger. The other thing we like about it is that it sticks out a bit more. We're not looking for flush -- don't care about super-modern looks, and would like the heat to radiate some when the power's out and we can't run the blower.

Jotuls seem to cost a lot more, and since we're not going to be using it daily, can't really justify the expense.

Who's got advice? I'm very open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

I have a Lopi Answer that I like a lot. As you said, the firebox is on the smaller side, 1.6 cu. ft. It is great for my application, which is just heating the den and kitchen at night. They're pretty large rooms. My house isn't set up for moving heat around.

The smaller firebox is o.k. for me since I know my tree/firewood guy. He now cuts wood for me 14 -16", rather than 16-18". I split it myself. He can burn much larger wood in his house, and likes 14-16" logs in his house anyway.

Reactions: Jaison
If one of the components on your checklist is running during a power outage then a stove that extends further out would be advantageous. Personally if the larger stove will fit I'd go with it and I haven't gotten the impression that PE's are poorly built.

I just installed a PE super insert into my home... it is doing a great job heating a 2000 sq ft ranch... i also just rebuilt and sold a older Lopi liberty freestanding stove... Lopis are built like tanks but in my humble opinion Pacific energy stove are built well and simple to operate.. Lopi have tubes for secondarys while The PE has a one piece baffle.... i think you will love the firebox on the PE as well... just my 2 cents

Lopi has gone to insulation board on their newer models for a hotter firebox, including the Answer. Firebrick is tough, but not superior to an insulated stainless steel baffle system.

insulated stainless steel baffle system.
When I had the baffle out, I noticed that it could be taken apart. Have you seen the inside? Where's the insulation? Obviously the air can get to the holes..

The construction varies with the stove but basically the baffle has two chambers. The lower chamber is the secondary plenum with a stainless ceiling. The upper chamber is where the insulation resides.

I'd put in the PE if those are the only two choices.

I'd put in the PE if those are the only two choices.

Thanks.
Those aren't the only choices, just the ones that I was leaning toward. The local dealer sells Lopi, PE, Avalon, Jotul, True North, Morso, Rais, Napoleon. House details are in first post. If you think I should look at another model in one of those brands, or look elsewhere, lemme know. Thanks!

Is the latter something that the PE Super has?
Cursor over "technologies" for a drop-down menu which has a link to the baffle system. And, see that tab in the back with the hole in it? A short pin goes through that to hold the baffle in place. When it's time to brush the chimney, pull the pin, slide the baffle to the side and drop it down to remove it from the stove. Easy-peasy. >> https://www.pacificenergy.net/

Reactions: acordeon
Avalon and Lopi are both from Travis Industries. I'm not sure what the differences might be.

The Avalon is discontinued.

Thanks.
Those aren't the only choices, just the ones that I was leaning toward. The local dealer sells Lopi, PE, Avalon, Jotul, True North, Morso, Rais, Napoleon. House details are in first post. If you think I should look at another model in one of those brands, or look elsewhere, lemme know. Thanks!
In the Lopi line I would check out the Revere if it will fit. That is more comparable in size to the Super. The True North is PE's value line. The TN20 insert is the same size as the Super but with a more standard tube secondary system and baffle boards.

I'm in the same area using a Lopi 1250i, which I think is the same box as the Answer. It works well for me but my house is less than 1200sf. For a 1900sf house I'd get something bigger.