Inside Firewood Rack Design Ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Trying to figure out what to build or buy for a firewood rack inside the house to hold a few armloads of wood close to the stove. Ideally something with a closed bottom to catch the wood chips and bark, and something nicer to look at than just a plain wooden box. I'm not much of a woodworker but have most of the basic wood working tools. Metal wouldn't be an issue though, aluminum or steel would be easy, or even stainless steel.

Pictures of what you have would be great.

Thanks

No pictures but I just use a 3 foot diameter wrought iron hoop. I'll load the hoop from a LL Bean wood bag so a lot of the mess stays in the bag. My hoop sits on a small piece of carpet (One of those samples from the carpet shops) so the mess left it easily managed.
Most of the time the wood just comes out of the wood bag into the insert and the hoop is just for show or when I'm too lazy to go into the wood room for another load.

Reactions: ABMax24
No pic currently, but I have a 30"x30"x36" box . Looks like an oversized potato box with a hinged lid.

2 different racks I have
20200925_155812.jpg

Attachments

• 20200925_155839.jpg
    20200925_155839.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 102
We used a blanket box for years
lift the top fill with wood close top
you have a coffee table and nobody
knows where your wood is
1601121868250.png
1601121868250.png

I've had a bit of time the last while and decided to try and build a box out of wood. 3/4" spruce plywood bottom and 1/2" sanded pine plywood everywhere else, with oak trim on the corners. I've hidden casters in the corners so it can roll around the basement. It was then stained and coated with 3 coats of varathane. Not sure I'm sold on the grey color, wanted something other than brown, but not sure this is it. Oh well, it's done now. I hated the thought of just holding this together with screws, so every joint is also glued with PL adhesive, it's never coming apart.

IMG_20201128_174302.jpg

IMG_20201128_174332.jpg

Castors underneath are nice to have for moving it around.
A solid bottom is also nice to keep stuff contained.
Some stakes on the ends would be adequate.
At that point imagination is the limit.
I just made a box out of 2x6's, solid ply bottom, turned some stakes for the ends, castors.
If the box is about the same size as the max stove length, then that could be used as a gauge. Won't fit in the box, won't fit in the stove.

I like the rolling box. If you make one of the dimensions the max length that your stove takes you’ll never end up with pieces arhat are too long to fit inside the house.

I've had a bit of time the last while and decided to try and build a box out of wood. 3/4" spruce plywood bottom and 1/2" sanded pine plywood everywhere else, with oak trim on the corners. I've hidden casters in the corners so it can roll around the basement. It was then stained and coated with 3 coats of varathane. Not sure I'm sold on the grey color, wanted something other than brown, but not sure this is it. Oh well, it's done now. I hated the thought of just holding this together with screws, so every joint is also glued with PL adhesive, it's never coming apart.

View attachment 269518
View attachment 269519
Now go put that pipe back on your snowmobile.

Reactions: firefighterjake
At our last house we used a bannana box for 5 years. Not real pretty but did the job. I usually carried it out to the wood pile and filled it there. Now I've graduated to a wood chute into my basement!

Reactions: Gearhead660
At our last house we used a bannana box for 5 years. Not real pretty but did the job. I usually carried it out to the wood pile and filled it there. Now I've graduated to a wood chute into my basement!
I used banana boxes also. Was perfect width, if it fit in the box, it would fit in the stove.