huffdawg Posted By huffdawg, May 15, 2017 at 12:03 PM

1. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Only 7 yrs in service 3a49420d014faaf46cf325a9835b2906.jpg f17d3fee9acb0e6456acb763966b1aab.jpg

2. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    That's pretty scary looking. My father has a Buderus indirect - doesn't look like that though, it's rectangular & horizontal. Does it have an anode rod? Any diagnosis or feedback from Buderus or a dealer on it? That's not very long...

3. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    It had a 14 inch anode rod with lots of life left in it still. I looked into it a while back , the warranty was expired.. I was getting rusty coloured bath water and my boiler water pressure was getting high. Lifting the relief occasionally. Pin hole in the stainless cool. I bought an eighty gallon Eco King to replace it.. the extra 30 gallon capacity makes for easier hot water management..it has a copper coil. We'll see how it lasts. 26caff70278cd9576cab295fff8763ad.jpg

4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Wow. The stainless rotted?
    I've got a reverse indirect (froling Energy). The pipe is 17 gallon capacity corrugated stainless in a 120 gallon tank.
    For you, would it just have been the question of whether the coil rots from the outside or inside?
    Is the water treated?

5. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    The boilerwater isn't treated, judging by the condition in side the tank is bet it was the DHW.

6. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    That's what I meant...is the dhw treated?

7. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    Wow, that sure looks like one of two things, you have really aggressive water or a design flaw.

8. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    Not unusual for DW to be mildly acidic or basic, pH from 6 to 8.5. A pool water test kit may provide useful info on pH, softness and other parameters of your DW. Acidic water can be very corrosive.

9. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    It's only treated with chlorine as far as I know.. And I know they overdose it.

10. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Chlorinated water can be very corrosive. It's like a salt. If you can drink it then it shouldn't be too bad though and Stainless should tolerate it well.

11. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    There is a such a thing as stress corrosion cracking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking that can screw up stainless especially when chlorides are around. Plus there is potential crevice corrosion that can occur when stainless is worked with carbon steel tools and rust gets forced into the SS surface. Far more likely is they outsourced the manufacture of the coils and the alloy quality was crap. Not the first time I have seen stainless fail related to someone saving a buck by buying low quality SS alloy. 25 years ago Brazilian SS flooded the market and it had some real issues. No doubt Chinese stainless has also had its issues.

huffdawg likes this.
  12. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    In our neck of the woods reservoir water tends to be more acidic for obvious reasons and ground water tends to be more basic because of the limestone.

13. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    So acid rain washed into the ground and dissolves the limestone. Makes some great caves and sinkholes! Surface water is acidic here too but not as bad. Just bad enough to dissolve copper and lead from plumbing though. Too much of that and we get excessive emissions of copper/lead from the sewage treatment plant. Then I get a call to add sodium hydroxide to the drinking water and bring up the pH.

14. Bob Rohr

Bob Rohr
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 9, 2008
    Loc:
    SW Missouri
    Chlorides are the usual suspect in stainless steel problems like that. Check the TDS and also the chloride levels if you can.

Seems like all the stainless tank and boiler manufacturers are adding water quality spec and caution on the tank and in the manuals.

Here is a spec from HTP form their stainless tanks.

Attached Files: