inspected chimney this morning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heem

Dec 13, 2008
Connecticut
So this is our first year heating with wood, so I'm a little inexperienced. We've been burning for 2 months now.

Our chimney is 15' or stainless steel double wall that goes up the side of the house. There is a tee connection at the bottom that you can remove the bottom of to inspect/clean.

So, that's what I did.

When I opened it, there was a very small amount of black chips (creosote?) in the bottom of the pan. when I say very small, I mean not even a full layer.

Looking up the chimney with a flashlight, it looks like there is sand or ash coating the entire length of the pipe. Brown color, light and fluffy, not black or hard. Using a little piece of something I had nearby, I measuered the depth of it to be about 1/8 of an inch thick, pretty evenly spaced all the way to the top (as far as my perception could tell anyway)

So.. Do I have to have a chimney sweep out ASAP to clean this, or can I wait another month or so? I'm trying to use this as our main heating source, so we do burn all day long - BUT, that said, this device is also supposed to save me money, so having to pay for the chimney sweep to come out twice in a season will cut into my ability to get my return on investment.

What do you guys think, do I need to get someone to try and come out Monday morning and clean this, or can I wait?

Thanks so much.

If you have access to a 20' ladder then go to your local hardware store & buy a 10' -3/4" galvanized pipe.

Have them thread both ends & buy the reduction fittings so that it can accept a:

RUTLAND 16906 POLY CHIMNEY BRUSH 6" ROUND - $8

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(kqkhqb45vs5rxce3f2ukrtmb)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=48392

This method will cost you @ $25 bucks.

(Have both ends threaded in the event that you bugger up, cross thread, etc one end ;-) )

If you have no access to a 20' ladder, & there is 4'-0"" or more room beneath your clean out "T", then consider this kit.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(kqkhqb45vs5rxce3f2ukrtmb)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=4272662

Good luck with it.

Cost is a little more, but a set of flexible rods and a brush... do it right from the ground... good stuff.

:)

Dave_1 said:
If you have access to a 20' ladder then go to your local hardware store & buy a 10' -3/4" galvanized pipe.

Have them thread both ends & buy the reduction fittings so that it can accept a:

RUTLAND 16906 POLY CHIMNEY BRUSH 6" ROUND - $8

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(kqkhqb45vs5rxce3f2ukrtmb)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=48392

This method will cost you @ $25 bucks.

(Have both ends threaded in the event that you bugger up, cross thread, etc one end ;-) )

If you have no access to a 20' ladder, & there is 4'-0"" or more room beneath your clean out "T", then consider this kit.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(kqkhqb45vs5rxce3f2ukrtmb)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=4272662

Good luck with it.

If all you are getting right now is the brown papery stuff, it sounds like you are burning nice and clean. My stainless runs inside the house expect for the last 4.5', and all I am getting so far is the same brown stuff. It reminds me of coffee grounds once it's been swept into the stove. I've seen people advise cleaning once it gets to 1/8", but I've seen other people that say wait until it gets to 1/4". We'll see what the consensus is, but it doesn't sound like you're in danger of burning down the house right now. ;-)

Yep, I also took advantage of the warmer temps and cleaned and expected my pipes for the third time this season, about a cup and half of brown powdery stuff. I was pretty happy about that since some of my wood is not fully seasoned. However burning it a little hotter helps, shorter burns but cleaner pipes. I like the feeling I get when I know the pipes are clean and my house and family are safe when I burn :) Peace of mind is a wonderful thing

Thanks all for the advice. I will probably learn to do my own cleaning, but not for my first one, I'd rather have a pro look at it.

I think the standard answer is to sweep with 1/8 of an inch build up . . . on the flip side it sounds like you're burning well. You may well opt for a professional sweep . . . but trust me in the long run you will want to buy your own tools to do the sweep yourself -- especially since you'll be able to do it regularly on your schedule.

10' grey conduit
Home Depot
rope/clamp- good to go
cant be beat

souunds liek your burning fine

I'm not sure I agree with the clean at an 1/8 inch statement. That may be true with a smooth liner, but with a flex liner, I seem to get an 1/8 inch really quickly and never much more.

I get exactly what you described and I can tell you, you are not in desperate need of a chimney cleaning. It probably doesn't need cleaned at all.

Brown stuff is ASH not creosote so I'd let it go....and there's no obstructions, that's a key clue. Good job Heem did you come from a wood burning family?

Status
Not open for further replies.