Install components....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

opusthe2nd

Dec 16, 2018
Montana
Greetings one and all. For a new install, would this be a complete, satisfactory ceiling package minus some pipe?

41-lFGbprBL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one option. Will this be for a cathedral ceiling?

Will sweat condensation like mad when not in use. Best to go with a support box.

I'm more in favor of the cathedral ceiling support box. It provides positive protection and I like the support being lower than the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludlow
Understood, but then you have that big ugly box inside, sticking out like a sore thumb.

Can I have your phone number so my wife can call you? LOL!

I painted the big black trim ring for our ceiling support white. No complaints from the missus.

Reactions: opusthe2nd
Am I reading something wrong?

"Continuous Service Temperature Ranges of -58F to +239F (EPDM) "
"Use for Stove Pipes, Chimney, Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, Electrical, Exhaust Vents, etc. "

Selkirk is Metalbest, from what I have read, no?

You'll want a metal flashing topside. Is this a composition or metal roof? Missing the storm collar and cap.

A proper metal flashing is more rigid, lasts much, much longer, better sealing and way less screw holes in the metal roof to secure. A good metal roof flashing is the one by Excel.

Flexible boot for metal roof is high temp silicone. Even then it isnt ventilated so I dont know how they get away with it.

I sure am missing the theory on this. Yes, I forgot the cap too.

A boot, a flashing, a storm collar, really? Not question your advice personally just trying to understand the reasoning...

Why a storm collar when you have a boot? Then I have to rely on how well I silicone everything, unlike with a boot. All my other vent pipes just have a boot, what makes this different?

I sure am missing the theory on this. Yes, I forgot the cap too.

A boot, a flashing, a storm collar, really? Not question your advice personally just trying to understand the reasoning...

Why a storm collar when you have a boot? Then I have to rely on how well I silicone everything, unlike with a boot. All my other vent pipes just have a boot, what makes this different?
Heat, sun & time. Plus I like a rigid chimney pipe install. A silicone boot has too much wiggle for my liking.

You'll still need a flashing which is the function of the boot. (and with it a storm collar and cap). Sealing the storm collar with a bead of silicone is a 2 minute task.

I used the excel flashing on my metal roof and it was easy to install. I agree with begreen it would be the way to go. Seems if installed correctly it would be less likely to leak as well. Now that I said that mine will start leaking. Lol. I’ve used hi temp flexible ones before and while it didn’t leak it didn’t offer any support and wasn’t any easier to install.

Some Excel flashing images. The last one is before the storm collar is on.

Excel metal roof flashing.jpg Excel_metal flashing.jpg excel_metal_flash_close.jpg Excel_metal_roof_flashing.jpg