Install damper as precaution with 30-ft flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
So, my chimney flue is almost 30 ft long. I've heard of people having so much draft that they needed to install a damper in the exit pipe. I was thinking of installing a damper before I set the stove in place and hook it up, just in case I should need it. Should I just wait and see?

30' seems to be in the "getting up there" range. You could probably go either way, but if it is relatively easy to do now, it's a case of "might as well" If the flue is all internal chases and insulated, chances are you will need it some. If it's external it will loose heat faster and you may not need a damper.

I did. It's pretty easy to remove if you don't need it. I removed mine this summer after
deciding it wasn't necessary.

Woodstock was quite sure I wouldn't need one so I decided to try it without first and then add it if I need it.

If you will do top down sweeping and the damper gets in the way I'd leave it out but otherwise I'd put one in.

30' is pretty tall. What did Woodstock say? The Fireview has a lot of control and can be shut completely off, but 30' may need some extra help.

Guess I should have provided more information up front, but the chimney is located near the center of my house, and because Woodstock says it's a requirement with no clay liner, my flex liner will be wrapped in insulation.

I should ask Woodstock about the damper and probably will, but I have called and emailed them so many times, I thought I'd try here first.

Sounds like there is a strong possibility I'll need it, and the damper is so cheap, and it's so much easier to do before setting the 485-lb stove in place... I'm leaning toward a 'yes.'

Yeah I could see where it would be a pain to move the stove back out to install the damper if you need it and if it's already there and not needed you can just leave it wide open and it shouldn't negatively effect anything. Don't be afraid to call Woodstock, they love our calls and get paid to answer our questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.