Install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smithm1979

Dec 22, 2012
WNY
Can't seem to get a definite answer on this, have done quite a bit of searching.
What would be the best install for the following situation:
Looking at getting a pelpro stove, will be installed on exterior wall of house. Problem is that it will vent onto a porch with a roof. Do I need to go out the wall and up through the roof? The manual shows a pic of a straight horizontal install but says they recommended at least 5 feet vertical rise. Trying to keep this as simple as possible but also don't want to take short cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Without a vertical rise, in a power failure you'll get smoke in the house. In any case, you probably don't want to have the smoke exit under the roof.

Well, I am pretty sure you can vent there, as long as the sides and front remain open. We researched this last year for someone. But you have to follow the other clearances, AND there could be local or insurance regulations against it. I always recommend "up and out" even if it is only 2 foot. Then, if you change stoves, you don't have to cut another hole in the wall. ALL are different!

I would treat it like a Veranda, porch or balconey (as long as the porch is otherwise open. Here is a snip from my Harman stove install manual. BUT, the manual is older so make sure you go by the latest installation manual for your stove/pipe.

pellet stove porch clearance.jpg

Reactions: Mt Bob
All good info, thanks. I've looked at the owners manual for the stove and it says that horizontal venting is ok but vertical is preferred. I plan to do a battery backup for my rare power failures so the stove can continue to run and then be shut down if needed. I guess my question is will there be a difference in performance/efficiency in horizontal venting rather than the vertical? I come from wood stove experience having the option of a horizontal vent is still something in trying to wrap my head around.

Depends. Some pellet stoves require vertical. I always recommend some vertical inside, for the reason stated before, and having some vertical helps in a power outage, as stated before.
A quality surge protector is way more important than a battery back up, to start out. Electronic parts can be expensive, and annoying to diagnose.

Initially I ran a horizontal pelletb flue pipe about 24 feeet straight out the wall along the end of my carport. A stiff wind would "upset" my stove burn, so then after the first winter, I added a tee a couple feet out from the wall and not wanting to cut my roof, I angled the verticakl section at about 80 degrees to miss the car port overhang. Huge better. Next, I cut the hole, flashed it, ran pipe up 15 feet. Winner. Of course, all had a pellet vent cap.