Install woodstove in 3-sided fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2009
ontario
Hello,
Could use some advice... currently have a 3-sided (peninsula) masonry fireplace that I'm considering installing a wood stove into. I have seen hearth mounted stoves but I think my main concern is the top of the stove overheating due to the masonry above it. Just not sure since I haven't seen a stove installed in this type of setup before
Thanks for any thoughts / suggestions.

Attachments

• Picture 001b.jpg
    Picture 001b.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,162
Overheating the stove probably won't be an issue. What are the dimensions of the current firepit cavity (and height) and how large an area will be heated? I'm wondering if a stove can be set so that it faces outward from the peninsula, on the short side.

Dimensions are 25" between the front posts - 28" height - 36" front to back.
I was thinking a boxwood style stove might fit those dimensions well.

That's a thought, though a decent sized one like the Jotul 118 would be too tall. How large an area are you heating?

The area we're heating with the stove is our main living space - kitchen, dining and living room. Total sq ft aprox. 700 sq ft.

I don't know how the posts are "framed" or mounted in there, but I would suggest you consider removing a course or two of brick on the bottom to allow you to fit any stove that would fit the width and depth. Seems to me that the height you listed is the limiting factor. Might as well try to heat as well as you can given the investment.

MarkG

That is a thought... it would allow more options with the increased height. The posts support a thick metal lintel which in turn support the clay brick and concrete block that continue straight up through the attic space (single story house). I'm going to have a look if removing the "floor" brick might be an easier option depending what's underneath.

We have a two sided fireplace and I recently installed a Buck stove to replace the old pre-epa insert that was in it. You can see some pictures in this thread.

I'd recommend a stove like the Buck that can be used as either a freestanding unit or an insert. It won't have an ugly back on it like most dedicated inserts if you want to leave the stove visible. That type will also mainly be a convection stove, which will allow you to use a blower to get a lot of heated air out from under the overhanging fireplace hood.

Yep, it was your installation in particular that I was thinking about. Seems like a stove that can work as an insert or stand alone would work, without the surround panels. With this type of installation, brick removal might not be needed at all. Seem like there is easy clearance for a 22" tall, 2 cu ft insert like the Buck 74. Regardless of choice, I'd add a lintel level blockoff plate.

That Buck stove looks like a nice fit in your fireplace - very similar to mine. Kent, do you have any pictures of the side of the stove to get an idea how that will look?
BeGreen, could you give me a few more details on the lintel level blockoff plate you mentioned.
Thanks for the helpful ideas.

I don't have any pictures of the side of stove right now. Will be kind of tough to get a good shot since it's pretty tight to the hallway wall, but I'll see what I can get for you.

fuzzy said:
That Buck stove looks like a nice fit in your fireplace - very similar to mine. Kent, do you have any pictures of the side of the stove to get an idea how that will look?
BeGreen, could you give me a few more details on the lintel level blockoff plate you mentioned.
Thanks for the helpful ideas.

A block off plate will help keep more heat in the room and less up the chimney. However, if it is up in the damper area and you have a freestanding stove without a blower, the space between the lintel and the damper can act as a heat trap. Dropping the block off plate down to the lintel level can help stop this effect. The plate just gets attached lower, below the damper at the lintel level. For more info on damper seals (block off plates) here's an article link. Be sure to click on the link within the wiki article too.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

Can we a pic of the room where this is from floor to ceiling? Is it brick all they way p? If you removed what you have now would it open the room a little bit?

Just a thought!

An avalon would work because the inserts are the same as the stoves just without legs. Decent looking from the sides and all too.

I'm liking the idea of the woodstove/insert units as they look good from the sides and the blower keeps moving the warm air on top.
Going to have a look at my local shop and check out dimensions to fit - they carry Enerzone and Pacific Energy inserts.
One last thing on the block off plate, is there any need to insulate above it to prevent heat loss with some rock wool type insulation?

Im not sure I would start removing bricks, if you put a buck or the avalon you mention and do a block off plate (use kaewool over the plate) like be Green says you should get plenty of heat with a blower and the sides open with no waste going up. Looks like plenty of room to fit one in there.

weatherguy said:
Im not sure I would start removing bricks, if you put a buck or the avalon you mention and do a block off plate (use kaewool over the plate) like be Green says you should get plenty of heat with a blower and the sides open with no waste going up. Looks like plenty of room to fit one in there.

I agree. In fact, if you have the height, I'd add a layer of bricks to even up the hearth with the fireplace. It's much easier to roll the insert into place than to try to horse it over a lip like that.

i think a soapstone stove would look nice in there. radiant heat on the 2 sides, viewable firebox from the one side. i dont know what their dimensions are though.

That was my first thought, but an insert body has a lower profile to fit into this space without surgery.

fuzzy said:

Pictures added to other thread mentioned above.

Thanks for posting the pictures... the stove looks like a perfect fit in your space and I see why there's no need to trim it out. The advice from the shop I went to was to tear down the masonry as they thought I'd be bastardizing my fireplace trying to use an insert. Your setup is similar and looks very good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.