Installation guide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shredd_guy

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2008
Ski Lane Ravine, Mn
greetings I am on the cusp of purchasing a new summit insert for my basement masonry fireplace. I just need to figure out all of the permit issues and inspection hoops i will need to jump through. so I was hoping to get some clarity around a few issues>

Installation: I am thinking about haveing a friend help me with the install, he has installed his own system and frequently works on heating and air conditioning systems so I am confident about his ability but...it might not compare to a guy who does this for a living. i dont like to take shortcuts unless I know where i am going. So does anybody have any recomendations on things that I should look out for?

Power: I am thinking that I can install an outlet in the existing fireplace and run the power cord behind the unit. I hate the thought of a cord going accross my hearth. unfortunatly none of the dealers have these stoves in their stores so I feel like I am flying a little blind on a few issues. If any body has experience doing this or has pics of their system I would be grateful.

Selection: My selection journey started out with a lopi declaration and due to geomety i switched to a freedom then due to a few issues like easthetics, blower location, and the ebt tech I landed on the Summit. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

any help would be great thanks,

Cant find anything to knock a summit about. I think you will be happy with it.

I'd recommend downloading the manual for the stove and studying it together with your friend. Think through problems, like the damper throat width, insulated liner or not, block-off plate design, stove connection, etc.

Do not put the electrical outlet in the fireplace. It will get very hot in there and is likely a code red flag. Don't fret so much about the cord. It won't be that noticeable. Most of us have put an ashbucket, hearth tools, kindling holder, or something in front of the cord and you never see it.

Summits have a loyal following here. You won't regret getting this stove. It's a serious heater. Do a search for the many comments and reports on the forum regarding this stove.

Thanks for the input my only issue with the cord is that it will need to travel 8 feet or so to a oulet and to add an out let in the areawill require punching a hole through a brick wall.....I will try and post an image that should shedd some light on the matter.

(((((I’d recommend downloading the manual for the stove and studying it together with your friend. Think through problems, like the damper throat width, insulated liner or not, block-off plate design, stove connection, etc.))))

Thats the stuff i am concerned about. Ill study up make a decision based on my confidence level. thanks

Could you just use a black, 6ft, 3 prong, single outlet appliance extension cord? That's what we had on our insert to tie into an outlet that was 9ft away.

Take measurements, make sure you have wiggle room and feel free to ask questions. And search the forums for Summit installation. There are several Summit self installs here.

I moslt likely could although it doesnt seem like to most attractive option but maybe its something i will need to come to grips with. I might look into drilling a hole through the wal then plugging it in in the back room. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.