Installation help - through wall and porch roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kylescabin

Sep 27, 2021
Washington
I think this may be similar to https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/stove-pipe-through-porch-roof.182531/ thread, but wanted to get a second opinion before I assume, cut a hole in my house, find out I'm wrong, and have to explain to the wife!

We bought this place in western Washington and are going to add a wood stove (only current heat source is propane). We'd like to add it in the corner where the TV currently is located (TV and cabinet will be removed). Above this room is the master bedroom, so I'd prefer to run the pipe outside, however there is a wrap around porch on the house. Are there any issues with running through the wall and then through the porch roof? I plan to do the work myself and pull permits, but am trying to figure out if this plan works before getting in too deep. Pictures attached, plan to run pipe through wall at location "A" and through porch roof at location "B".

Is there anything obviously wrong with this plan? Anything missing that I need to know before pulling the permit? Thanks in advance!

20210926_210944.jpg 20210926_211119.jpg Screenshot_20210926-213329_Gallery.jpg

Can be done, you will need the black pipe for the inside room (double wall is best because it has a reduced clearance of 6" to combustibles) through the wall kit with a horizontal piece of class a pipe, a class a T w/ cleanout cap, wall brackets for class A pipe, roof shield for the class A to go through on the porch so water doesnt leak through, then either if the upper roof soffit is big enough to cut a circle w/ 2" clearance for the class a to pass through or a (2) 22 deg elbows to coax the pipe away from the house then straight up w/ more class a pipe, roof bracket to support class a and enough class a pipe for the 10-3 - 2 rule (pipe needs to terminate no lower then 3ft higher then anything within a 10ft radius or 2ft passed the peak of the roof) and cap.
*local code may or may not want a class a fire shield for passing through the porch roof, generally these are required when class a pipe passes between floors inside a living space.
It sounds like a lot of pieces but its really not that bad, maybe $1,600 to $1,800 worth of material, the issue might be finding all the components in one go with all the shortages in materials everyone is seeing.

If considering an offset to clear the soffit, check with the chimney pipe mfg. first. Some only permit offsets indoors, like in an attic, and not outdoors.