Installation Near Utilities

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deacon00

Jan 15, 2022
Massachusetts
Happy belated new year. I recently had my oil furnace removed from my basement and upgraded to electric mini splits. Last year, I installed a wood stove in my garage and it does a great job heating the space so I am looking at installing one in my basement now that the chimney is no longer being used by the oil furnace and I have some additional space. As you can see from the pictures, the chimney location and the closest spot for a potential wood stove is near the house sewer pipe on one side of the chimney, and the electric panel on the other. I am wondering if this would be a hard stop for the installation. What do you think? Any help or resources would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_2064.jpg image0.jpeg

If you maintain clearances for both pipe and stove as listed, it should be good.

Every modern stove has a set of minimum clearances, so you need to pick a stove and then get your tape measure out. The electrical panel needs an imaginary box in front of it. the box needs to be 2'6" wide by 3' deep by 6' high but the panel does not need to be centered in the 2' 6" width.

My guess is you may want to consider having the PVC sewer piping changed over to cast iron or build a heat shield for it as radiant heat may cause problems.