Installation - Odd line/valve position?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acshaw80

Sep 30, 2013
I've got a fireplace in the bedroom connected to our main chimney and would like to put a vented gas log in it. There is already a capped gas line coming into the fireplace, however the placement is really odd as instead of being off to the side it is in the near the center of the fireplace. I've owned the house for 1 year (built in 1938) and has not had a gas log in it since I've owned it, but I'm assuming that someone at some point in time was using it a gas fireplace or the line wouldn't be there. The line itself has a tee valve on it with a red plastic valve handle.

I'm assuming that having the valve near the fire box is dangerous in addition to not meeting code. I might be able to fit a small 16-18" gas log toward the back of the fireplace and run a gas line over to it. At any rate, has anyone ever come across this issue when installing a gas log? Any thoughts on what might be done?

Thanks

Adam

I've got a fireplace in the bedroom connected to our main chimney and would like to put a vented gas log in it. There is already a capped gas line coming into the fireplace, however the placement is really odd as instead of being off to the side it is in the near the center of the fireplace. I've owned the house for 1 year (built in 1938) and has not had a gas log in it since I've owned it, but I'm assuming that someone at some point in time was using it a gas fireplace or the line wouldn't be there. The line itself has a tee valve on it with a red plastic valve handle.

I'm assuming that having the valve near the fire box is dangerous in addition to not meeting code. I might be able to fit a small 16-18" gas log toward the back of the fireplace and run a gas line over to it. At any rate, has anyone ever come across this issue when installing a gas log? Any thoughts on what might be done?

Thanks

Adam

Gas logs are generally NOT APPROVED for bedroom use.
In oder to meet the NFI Gas Code, you must have 50 cubic feet of volume
(air) for every 1000 BTU the the Gas Log is rated for.
So a 40K BTU Gas Log would need (40x50) 2000 cubic ft.
2000/8 (std. ceiling ht) =250 sqft.
That's about a 12 x 21 bedroom.
If you have a small bedroom, you probably won't find a gas log small enough.
More than likely, there was a small gas stove or an insert in the firebox.
Sealed combution gas appliances ARE approved for bedroom applications.
Hope you can follow the math...

Thank you for your reply. As far as I can tell, the building code where I live permits gas fireplaces and the local fireplace shops agree that I can put a vented gas log in my master bedroom fireplace. I'm not sure about a vent-free log...perhaps that creates a different issue.

I cited the NFI Spec. Talk to your hearth shop & tell them what it says.
If they're not NFI certified, you might be better off choosing another one.
Just sayin....

Gas logs are generally NOT APPROVED for bedroom use. In oder to meet the NFI Gas Code, you must have 50 cubic feet of volume (air) for every 1000 BTU the the Gas Log is rated for. So a 40K BTU Gas Log would need (40x50) 2000 cubic ft. 2000/8 (std. ceiling ht) =250 sqft. That's about a 12 x 21 bedroom. If you have a small bedroom, you probably won't find a gas log small enough. More than likely, there was a small gas stove or an insert in the firebox. Sealed combution gas appliances ARE approved for bedroom applications. Hope you can follow the math...

I think what you are using is the vent free code?

in our area only direct vent gas appliances are allowed in bedrooms or sleeping spaces
so no gas logs in bedrooms regardless of avail air flow

Status
Not open for further replies.