Installation of a 1800i in our house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an existing zero clearence fireplace in our 10 year old house that is framed into a chase. After talking with a local reseller he said that the 1800i would probably fit, although tightly. Also the existing fireplace opening is 8" off the floor level and so I will have to support the 1800i on the front. The local reseller mentioned that I could just make some type of a metal shroud for the bottom.

I am a mechnical engineer with a seat of solidworks and have designed alot of parts out of sheet metal. I feel very comfortable designing a skirt for this purpose, but not really sure what I can use for material or paint given the heat that the wood stove insert gives off. Will standard 14 gage cold roll steel work, and can I just use a black powder coat paint job?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards ...... A guy with tons of wood but a very innefcient fireplace.

Look at install thread over on the picture forum... maybe some helpful hints there.

Thanks Don...

I do wonder what needs supporting though. If the stove is sitting on it's feet, there is nothing else to support. If you look VERY carefully at my final install you'll see (well, maybe hard) that the blower isn't supported. It's hanging off the stove as intended. The new mantle is just below the blower, but doesn't actually touch it. Visually it looks supported, but is not.
I didn't see anything in the manual that stated it needed to be supported either.

I do agree the 1800i does look like it's got a chin if you don't visually fix that, but functionally...I think it's fine. You might find it gets bumped though or logs might get dropped on it. So far, mine has held up o.k.

My plan is to support the front either with some type of a steel structure or fire brick, and then a sheet metal skirt with louvers that is painted.

I have found the best paint to use is what is called "pure silica paint". It is used on vechile exhaust manifolds, but is very expensive.

I will hopefully post some finish pictures at some point.

Regards ....

Status
Not open for further replies.