Installation price came in high. Buy my own materials?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi wood burners,

I got my first quote in for an install of a free standing stove.

The guy told me that he can't cut through the roof, so we would have to go through the wall.

I've attached a couple of photos of the room and the roof location. The quote seems pretty high to me.

The install, including the chimney, hearth pad, and piping came to $4,250 and I buy the stove separately. The big ticket item was the cost of the class A chimney at $2,975. Even if we had to go two feet above our existing chimney, we would need about 16' of chimney at the most.

I am getting more estimates from others who would be able to go through our roof for the install in our preferred location.

Anyone have an idea at what I should be looking at for an install quote? Anything wrong with me just buying DuraVent chimney at Lowes for a third of that price? Anyone see anything wrong with my proposed stove placement? My wife's pet lizard would be moved of course.

Attachments

• 20190126_130602.jpg
    20190126_130602.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 20190126_130425.jpg
    20190126_130425.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 193
May want to check your local code. Not sure about that wall location above a deck.

Talk to your local inspector for who they recommend. Most contractors add a % to the supplies and don't like it when the homeowner buys stuff..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thank you. The location near the door would be through the roof The alternative location would be through the wall along the side of the house. My markup does look like it would pop out over the deck though

I would find someone who will go through the roof I see no reason that couldn't be done and it will be cheaper. And yes his price is high.

As for buying your own materials I won't do that not because I am loosing profit but because I like to work with products I know and trust.

Ahhh I misunderstood your pics... your paying the bill the installer can put it where u want..
Why not use existing chimney?

I looked into using the existing chimney, but it's a double sided fireplace which won't work for shoving a stove into unfortunately.

Ahhh I misunderstood your pics... your paying the bill the installer can put it where u want..
Why not use existing chimney?

Well no the installer doesn't have to put it anywhere he doesn't feel is right. But if what they propose isn't satisfactory find someone else. We tell people we won't do what they want all the time for various reasons.

Anything can be made right depending on how much the customer is willing to spend.. it's always doable..

Anything can be made right depending on how much the customer is willing to spend.. it's always doable..

No not everything can be made right. And I am not going to do a job I know isn't right or won't work well. It just isn't worth the hastle.

I guess the installer who provided the quote just doesn't do through the roof installs. Only through walls. I had another installer tell me he could do it. He's coming out this weekend to check it out.

I guess the installer who provided the quote just doesn't do through the roof installs. Only through walls. I had another installer tell me he could do it. He's coming out this weekend to check it out.
That is odd. I try to push people to through the roof when possible.

I just paid $3,000 to install chimney from 1st floor, through 2nd floor & attic, straight up through the roof. About 26' of pipe total. I bought the stove separately, but they installed it.

I valued the knowledge of the Certified Chimney Sweep, plus I can show my insurance carrier that it was professionally installed to code.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I just paid $3,000 to install chimney from 1st floor, through 2nd floor & attic, straight up through the roof. About 26' of pipe total. I bought the stove separately, but they installed it.

I valued the knowledge of the Certified Chimney Sweep, plus I can show my insurance carrier that it was professionally installed to code.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Where in NH? I'm in the southern park of the state. Who did the install?

Go straight up if you have the option. You won’t regret it. Draft will be better since you will have a chimney that is probably on the short side of the recommenced height range for the stove.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I bought materials, pulled a permit, did the install myself, and had it inspected. It took a lot of time researching the right way to do things at the right price. The result was a new heater, new pipes, new hearth, new wall covering, and an access/inspection hatch in the ceiling. I opted to go through the roof due to the cost of the class A stainless pipe. I only had to use 8 feet because I have a 12' ceiling. The total cost was somewhere around 2K.