Installation question for Hearthstone Manchester 8362

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WhatDayJob

Dec 14, 2021
Colorado
I'm putting in some tiling that will act as the hearth pad for a new Hearthstone Manchester install next month. I want to make sure I've got the minimum dimensions and minimum clearance to combustibles right for when I lay the tile. The installer will be putting the stove and piping in.

Link to the install/owner's manual
Page 7: stove dimensions
Page 9: Hearth pad dimensions
Page 10: Clearance to combustibles

Here's the situation:
The stove will go in a 45° corner. Not sure yet if we'll align it with a wall or put it at an angle.
We intend to tile out from the edges of the wall about six feet into the room, maybe further. There's no R-value requirement for the pad.
Planning on using double-walled pipe and the heat shield to reduce required clearances as much as possible. The pipe will be vertical out the top of the stove, not horizontal to a t-fitting

Page 9 of the manual shows the minimum size of the hearth pad with distances from the edges of the stove to the edges of the pad.
Page 10 shows clearance to combustibles. We're going with the Double-wall connector and heat shield, so the bottom line of the table is the applicable measurements.

I'm not a math guy, but even my calculations make it seems like the required dimensions don't add up. For example, the stove is ~30" front to back. On page 9 of the manual, there's a minimum of 16" left of the stove, and it looks like about 4 inches to the right, although no minimum is listed. But the hearth pad minimum is 48" wide, which is a couple inches short.

I guess my biggest concern is making sure that:

1) The stove is far enough from the walls. If I read page 10 right, it needs to be at least 6" from the back wall (B), and 16" from the right wall (A). I'm not sure how I should be measuring item E, maybe just ensuring there's at least 9" of parallel clearance if I do the stove at an angle?

2) The hearth pad extends far enough in front of the stove. I'm planning on tiling all the way to the walls, so the clearances should more than accommodate the hearth pad dimensions to the side and back of the stove. Am I correct in thinking that I need at least 16" in front of it (page 9)?

Thanks in advance. Happy to add more info or answer questions.

Will side-loading be taken into account? If so the stove needs 16" hearth clearance on the left side. Dimension E takes this into account.

Is that 16" the length of the door from hinge to edge? I've got the clearance, but as others have mentioned, making sure I can get it wide enough for a 20" log and my arm is going to be key.

The distance is about heat protection, just like there needs to be 16" hearth for the front stove door.

Reactions: WhatDayJob