Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StetsonB

Jun 23, 2018
Oklahoma
New to the forum - longtime wisher / lurker - so howdy...

Forgive me if I posted in the wrong section; I cannot post in the Q&A section.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for installers in central Oklahoma area? I grew with my grandfather helping him cut wood and have years of memories with his wood stove. I'm looking to put one in my home.

I've been directed to a couple off different vendors off of the intraweb; however unless I am just completely clueless about the pricing - both have quoted me WAY out of my price range (8-10k).

thought maybe someone on here might be able to provide some good direction or just may wind up telling me that is about right on the cost.

Current fireplace is a stand heatilator wood burning fireplace installed w/ house in 2012. All prices was quoted was just for an insert; would love to knock down existing and face corner w/ some stone stacking and do a free stander but I just put that out of the realm of possibility with the cost I have been quoted on inserts due to extra construction. Although I could do some of that work myself.

Very cool site! Appreciate you time. Thanks - Stets.

Welcome. What specifically did the quote include?

Thanks - they had the insert at around 3k and installation + new piping at around 5-7k respectively between the two. I do have a two story home but the chimney avoids going through the upper floor- kinda of besides and behind it.

Thanks for the reply

Seems a bit high for the chimney installation if this was for a freestanding stove, but we would need to see the particular details. Was there a hearth also included in the bid? Can you post a picture of the current heatilator fireplace?

Get some competitive quotes. Here is where to find certified sweeps that can do the job: www.csia.org

Last edited:
Thank you, here's a pic. I'll see if I can contact someone through that website - thanks again...

Attachments

• 20180623_132723.jpg
    20180623_132723.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 175
That looks like a masonry fireplace. Unless there are complication in the flue like an offset or narrow throat tiles, I would expect a liner install to run about $1600-2000? Is this a 2 story chimney or is it extra tall?

I am a little green to all this so I do appreciate the help. I think the inner walls to that might be made to look like a mason fireplace-maybe?

I can move the walls where the back wall and sides meet; around. Seemed strange to me.

Yes we do have a two story the chimney go up next to the outer wall and out the beginning pitch of the roof. I doesn't go through the 2nd floor, kind of right next to it in an attic area. But probably extra tall for sure.

Thanks again so much for the advice...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can move the walls where the back wall and sides meet; around. Seemed strange to me.

That’s interesting. Never seen a rig like that.

Insulated liners usually run $1300 - $1800 around here, depending on height and installer, so your quote sounds high, but there may be good reasons for that. As begreen said, talking to other sweeps will help you narrow in on that, but having pricing already from two vendors indicates there must be some reason for it.

$3k is a reasonable round figure for many of the top stoves on the market, but there are also a few good quality models below $1k, if you’re on a budget.

Reactions: StetsonB