Installed a squire, is it ok for the direct connect to touch the flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

czach

Dec 8, 2006
I just installed an older Squire fireplace insert for my girlfriend. Moving that thing up the stairs was a serious adventure, however I have a question:

I bought a "hat" for the stove (to connect the sueare hole in the back of it to an oval connection pipe) and 5 foot stainless connection kit for it (from stovepartsonline, nice people) to do the job right. However after removing the damper plate and hardware I had to angle the pipe slightly in order to clear some of the damper lever plates. After this I managed to get the stainless pipe up into the flue however I think it is touching the side of the flue tiles up at the top.

Is this ok? Any chance the heat going up the pipe could crack the tile over time or something? Or am I just being paranoid over nothing?

Thanks!
Chris

No expert, but my opinion you are fine. Most direct connects are just "stuffed" up to the first flue tile, and I personally never saw any kind of device to "center" it in the flue tile. They usually just lean against one side of the flue tile.

there are actual spacers to center the flue. In youe case if the chimney is clean and in good condition, you should be ok. Do not forgrt to install a damper block off plate and seal it well

The flue tile in any fireplace chimney is made to handle heat and smoke, correct?

You've gone one step further by adding a full liner within that original flue.

I know I'm a newbie, but where's the concern?

i think the key here is that he didn't install a full liner, but he's fine.

the key here is is a good damper plate seal. It does two important things

*One it prevents room air heat loss up that chimney, that cools the flues and weakens draft. Which in turn promotes cersote buildup

* Two it seals the area to prevent back drafting exhaust from entering you living space

Status
Not open for further replies.