Installed chimney flashing today, how's it look?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

white91lx50

Nov 12, 2022
ohio
I made use of the mid 50's and no rain today, and got my flashing installed. I went under an extra row or two of shingles, and covered about 3/4 of the flashing. I used Through the roof sealer on the bottom of the flashing, running the whole perimeter including the bottom edge (in a V shape on the bottom edge, and left about a 1" gap open to drain any water. Hopefully this will also minimize wind blowing rain up under that edge?)
I also used it on the screw heads, to reseal the shingles to each other, and to seal the shingles to the flashing. I cut a 1" gap between the flashing and the edge of the shingles so nothing gets dammed/caught and stuck.

Should I have used more screws on the edge of the flashing? I figured the less holes i poke the better. I only have the bottom row, and 1 up each side. I don't see how it could go anywhere or leak since its sealed well, but wanted to double check.

The storm collar isn't on in this picture, but it's installed with silicone sealer. I also have two more 36" chimney sections to add, but i'm waiting on my chimney support kit to get here.

Thanks, Will

chimney1.jpg chimney2.jpg

Reactions: Rachy
No more screws are needed, but this looks like the flat roof flashing (6DP-FF) and not the one for the slope of the roof. DuraPlus 6DP-F6 flashing is for a pitch up to 6/12.

T
No more screws are needed, but this looks like the flat roof flashing (6DP-FF) and not the one for the slope of the roof. DuraPlus 6DP-F6 flashing is for a pitch up to 6/12.
The kit said the it's the adjustable flashing for 0/12-6/12. Besides that I don't know. I didn't think to check the sticker on the flashing and double check it was the correct part number. Crap.

Was the kit - 6DP-KMFG? They show a sloped roof flashing in the catalog for that kit.

Last edited:
The kit is 6dp-ktup
It shows a sloped roof flashing on the package for that kit. Not that this helps. I found a picture of the contents on eBay and it looks like a flat to 6/12 flashing is what is in the box. What is the roof pitch?

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 1.13.15 PM.png

You say you are adding 6 more feet of pipe. That much pipe above the roofline requires those roof brace stilt things. More roofing.

Reactions: white91lx50
There's no doubt in my mind you can make that work.

you may need a custom storm collar or something, but no need at all to tear that all apart, imo.

It is a 6/12 roof
That's what it looked like. It's at the limit for the flashing, but it will be ok. As Highbeam noted, an extended roof bracket is required for the chimney pipe at 5 ft above the roof penetration. DuraPlus part 6DP-XRB

That's what it looked like. It's at the limit for the flashing, but it will be ok. As Highbeam noted, an extended roof bracket is required for the chimney pipe at 5 ft above the roof penetration. DuraPlus part 6DP-XRB
Yep it’s been ordered a couple days ago 👍

Reactions: begreen
Nice clean install. They don't give much of a flange on the roof portion. Some ice & water shield would be a good second barrier of defense, but if it don't leak, that's all that counts. Good job