Installed Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good highbeam, I have my ceiling box installed and plan on getting the hole in the roof cut today and chimney installed this weekend, trying to beat the wet crappy weather.

Reactions: Highbeam
I was curious if your thermometer is one meant for stovetop or singlewall pipe. I bought a magnetic one but can't remember which it was. Today I put it in the oven at 375 and it read 575 - 600. So I assume the one I have is for single pipe trying to tell me the internal temp. I've been placing it on the stove and getting 6 - 700 so was a bit concerned but now I see it's not that hot.
If yours happened to be a stovetop one then your inside pipe temps would be much higher than that 450 number. Just a thought after I tested mine.

Surface temp meters such as our stove meters are not meant to measure air temps such as in an oven. You should get a strange number in the oven and that test won't tell you anything. My surface temp meter is a condar or a rutland and is meant for either pipe or stove top so long as it is a surface. Internal temp of the flue is usually twice that of the surface on single wall pipe.

I did some high temp testing yesterday and created a whole new load of smoke in the shop from burnt paint. This time I was measuring stove temps and it was up near 800 where the needle on the meter gets sticky, and jumpy. The pipe made all sorts of new smoke so I can only imagine that the pipe temps were much higher than 450.

Status
Not open for further replies.