Installed my Hampton HI300 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethcad

Feb 13, 2006
I finished installing my Hampton woodburning insert last Friday evening and have been burning pretty much non-stop since then.

I absolutely couldn't be happier with it. It looks great (brown porcelain) and burns wonderfully. I've been heating my entire 2000 sq ft house. I keep my furnace fan on constant circulate so that helps spread the heat.

The self-install went fairly easily. I opted for a full SS liner in my chimney but without the insulation. It's an interior chimney in good condition and my dealer said they usually don't insulate. I'm getting a superb draft so I'm happy with my decision. Haven't had a single puff of smoke or ash into the house even when opening the door suddenly. The only smell has been the break-in, and even that was very mild.

Here are a few highlights:

- Used a 6 inch liner because the owner's manual said so. My chimney flue is 6.25 inches in the narrow dimension. Turns out after I finally got in touch with the manufacturer they said 5.5 inch was fine. Too bad I had already ordered it.

- I could have ordered the 6 inch ovalized but figured I would do it myself and save some money. How hard could it be with a thin, flexible liner ? Well, that stuff is incredibly strong. I made a jig with 8 foot 2x4s and every bar clamp I own and could just barely squeeze it down about 1/4 inch. Couldn't figure out what to do until I noticed my log splitter. Then I simply sandwiched the liner between the 2x4s and used the 20 ton ram (gently) to flatten it down a bit. Worked great but I wouldn't recommend since the potential for destroying a $400 liner is high.

- I also fashioned a little shaped wooden nose cone to help it go down.

- Used a small air-powered grinder with cutoff wheel to saw a chunk out of my damper to fit the pipe through. Took about 15 minutes.

- I installed a full sheet metal block off plate at the bottom of the damper and sealed around the edges

I'm really thrilled with the stove. It's not the cheapest around but I love the looks and it burns great. I've already spent hours just watching the flames dance around the inside of the fire box. It's fascinating to watch the secondary combustion at work. And there is virtually no smoke coming out of the chimney. Certainly not like the stoves we had when I was a kid.

I do get some dirt on the glass after a long, overnight burn but it's a simple matter to clean.

I’ll hold off on posting pictures for a month or two since I plan to redo the entire mantel and hearth. The stove came in much earlier than expected (imagine that) so I decided to plop it in for the remainder of the heating season and then pull it to finish the work next month.

I too own a hampton hi300

We have been burning it since october of this year and can't imagine life without it.

I have inspected about 5 this year Very nice looking stoves good luck Also note worthy that you are getting decent heat The dealer was correct about the liner and insulation. I have one manual here for inspection purposes

Congrats on the new unit. We are having a regency i3100 installed today. Hopefully it will work just as well as your sister unit.

Congrats on that stove! We love ours too but regret that it hasn't been cold enough in Va. to burn it very often. Happily, when it does get cold the HI300 fires up quickly. To keep my glass clean I always open the damper wide and have a hot fire with the logs loaded side to side. The buildup on the glass burns off after a little bit and the remaining film is much easier to clean with a paper towel soaked in stove glass cleaner (just soak it and stick it to the glass for a few minutes then wipe the remainder off).

Best of luck!

PS. Almost forgot to remind you to adjust the door spacers after the first few fires.

Congrats on your new stove. Looks like it is working out nicely for you. Post some pics and keep us updated on how it goes!

Picture? I would love to see that little beauty installed!! Almost went with the Hampton due to aesthetics, but ended up with the regency...

Status
Not open for further replies.