Installing a Pellet Insert into space from a gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpwinn

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2007
Hello all,

I have a (decorative) gas insert w/ logs in my new house (2 yo). It's in the family room with cathedral ceilings and really does not put out any heat. Its' direct vented outside. I would like to install a pellet stove insert into this space. I'm fairly handy and can/will do myself (if it can be done). My question is...can i install a zero clearance pellet stove into the space where the gas insert is? I'll yank out the gas insert, cap the line etc. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to do this? you probably need dimensions and gas insert manufactorer plus some direct vent info.....but any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

If the house is only two years old, are you sure this is an "INSERT" and not just a built in direct vent fireplace? An "insert" would be inserted into an older wood fireplace.

Either way you can install most Quadrafire pellet inserts into either application. Give me more info and I can give more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.