Installing a wood stove in a converted school bus.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TellGRBill

Jan 15, 2017
Grand Rapids, Michigan
We have a bus (like a school bus) that has been converted into a motor home. We also have a wood stove that was manufactured within a sheet metal case surrounding the wood stove like I have seen done with oil and gas stoves. We would like to install this wood stove in our bus parallel to the outside wall of the bus. The outside wall is made of steel and we would put a couple inches of high temperature insulation between the wall and the stove. The top of the stove has louvers to allow the heat to escape and the front is made of a fine expanded metal to allow air to enter the metal case surrounding the wood stove. On the left of this stove would be a kitchen stove and to the right about two feet of space before an insulated sheet metal plate. Above the stove would be about two feet of space until an insulated sheet metal plate. I would like some opinions about this prospective installation.
Note: We do not plan to continue taking this bus on the road. We plan to leave it on out property, only moving it short distances on our property. The stove only weighs a couple hundred pounds at most so it will be easy to move and install. We will vent it through the metal wall of the bus and run it above the bus roof height.

Last edited:
What kind of stove is it, approved for use in a motor home? Remember its not just side clearances that need to be observed but also the hearth including the required insulation rating and distance in front for embers.

Just make sure that you are in between the stove and that back emergency door with the crash bar.

Reactions: Ashful
It sounds like it would work. How far away from the stove are the beds and any storage holding flammable material?
Thank you for the replies!
A drawing of the floor plan is on this web page. http://www.wherevergodwills.org/motor_home.htm The chest freezer and maybe even the cab (metal cabinet, with LP heater) will be removed and the wood stove is planned to be put in its place. The fire box door will face the cab location and a metal plate will be put on the floor there to catch any embers. We have been using this bus/motor home for 20 years on-the-road, and now it will be used for personal use in the cold season. It is Labeled as an Aspen solid fuel stove.
We have about three years experience with a wood stove in our home.

You might have draft issues at 60 mph, I recommend you follow the speed limit. ;lol

The Aspen is a pretty radiant, box stove. Install with care following installation instructions for mobile home installation. This is an EPA stove and it requires 16 ft of flue to perform correctly. It doesn't sound like that will be the case here which may lead to subpar performance.

Recommending 16 ft of flue I interpret as meaning 16 ft chimney pipe. That should not be a problem. Thank you for the advice!
Attached are some photos of the wood stove that I plan to install.

Attachments

• IMG_20170115_175715563.jpg
    IMG_20170115_175715563.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20170115_175809570.jpg
    IMG_20170115_175809570.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 176
Seems to me like marine stoves would suit this application, pretty well. They're designed for installation in similar confined cabins, with short chimneys.