Installing a wood stove through a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Christo01985

Nov 1, 2022
Massachusetts
Hello Guys,
I have an older wood stove that was given to me years ago . That I would like to install into an existing chimney that I have not used in ten years of owning home . The Chimney does not have a damper , it has sheet metal /duct metal with a hole assuming there was a previous wood stove there.I would like to put the stove on the hearth in front of chimney
My question is should I use a 6 inch stainless steel chimney liner kit and if so do you need to add the insulation /mesh kit in this situation?or do you just piece together stove pipe ?
I have looked up the states code but couldn't find what I was looking for, I plan to talk to building inspector before I buy anything .

any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Chris

Is this a manufactured, zero clearance fireplace with a metal chimney?

What is the stove that is going in? Pictures of both would help. And welcome!

could you please post pics so we can visualize this? Also you can not use screwed together smoke pipe in a chimney, a stainless steel liner is needed for this, insulated if you dont have proper clearances or if the older chimney is cracked / disrepair.

Thanks for the responses ,
kennyp2339 it is an older chimney and i was planning on buying a 6” liner kit with the insulation and mesh I just wasn’t 100 percent sure that was good enough
thanks for info

061C273B-B1D7-41DE-B7D8-31FA9E16C623.jpeg 1E431FDF-F9A7-4D3F-AD9A-EE623F4607D7.jpeg

Nice looking stove, while ordering the liner, insulation, chimney cap, anchor plate and flue connector, order a stove door gasket so you can start fresh.

Reactions: Christo01985
Thanks for the pictures. That looks like it might be a heatform style fireplace which has been painted black inside. I've lightened it up a bit to make it easier to see.
1E431FDF-F9A7-4D3F-AD9A-EE623F4607D7.jpg

The stove looks like it's a Hearthstone HII which takes a 6" flue and requires a 6"insulated stainless liner. The lack of damper for this installation is not an issue. The fitting of the insulated liner is. What is the ID of the existing chimney pipe?

What is the size of the fireplace opening?

There will need to be ember protection in front of the stove to protect the carpet.

Yes it is a 1981 hearth stone with a 6. inch opening in back . I spent some time wire brushing it and applying stove paste. It looks to be in good condition.

It will definitely fit side to side i have to figure out if i will be able to make the connection in back as there already is a hole cut in center of chimney opening with stove sitting on hearth . I was planning on taking up carpet and putting down fireproof pad of some sort in front of brick .

when you insulate liner do you insulate all the way to stove connection ?

Thank you for all the information I do appreciate it .
Chris

The liner is fully insulated up to the tee in the fireplace.