installing an outside air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephan in BC

Dec 10, 2014
BC Canada
Ok, this must have been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to get a conclusive answer.

My stove has a 2" metal pipe protruding from the back for an optional cold air intake. I plan to hook this up. I have read that I can use 2" flexible aluminum duct for this. What I cannot find (it's not in my manual either), is if it also needs a proper wall thimble, or if I can just run it through like a dryer vent.

It does not get hot so you do not need a thimble

check to see if there is any connection you need to make inside the cabinet of the stove as well.
some stoves require a little plumbing to complete the direct air path connection.

if on the back side of that inlet pipe it just opens up into the cabinet, there is propably a connection to be made.

Mine just runs out through the wall - no thimble.

I ran pre heater hose from advance auto parts in mine 6$ and it connects to exhaust manifolds so you know it does well with heat. I measured the diameter and cut a hole in the lower corner of my thimble outside of the space the flu pipe travels thru. Came out very nice

Like the others said, no thimble needed. I have a dual-use thimble for the St. Croix (thimble has a separate opening for the OAK, but I installed a separate OAK for the Harman and it just has a plate on either side of the plywood (it runs thru a where a small window was in the basement concrete wall). Those plates are only to help hold everything in place as it goes out plus the outer plate has a small screen in it to keep out rodents (very important - don't want mice or chipmunks to build a nest in the pipe during summer!)

mine is placed high enough on the exterior so as not to become blocked by (most) snow drifts.
definitely keep that in mind and/or pay close attention to the vent if it has to be placed lower than is optimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.