Installing and reno!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
Notes:
proper high temp brick and morter will be used
I am consulting with a certified installerbut looking for additional input as someone may have a great idea

The Plan Of Action
My idea is to mortar in some fake brick over the old brickwork so it comes flush with the metal fireplace surround. I have also thought about getting a small 8" strip, painted black to cover this area...thoughts?
FYI: As of right now the plan is to mortar in fake brick withihn 2 weeks.

I will be extending my hearth a couple inches and laying some dark black tiling.

The angled pictures shows the left and right of the fireplace. it will be made into wood holding cubbies that meet clearance requirments.

Attachments

• Resized_20170924_000221.jpeg
    Resized_20170924_000221.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Resized_20170923_131656.jpeg
    Resized_20170923_131656.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 138
Looks like a real nice project, make sure you don't block your self in. Check to see how the existing liner connects to the insert, do you have to reach in on the outside of the insert to remove the screws from stove collar or are they screw into the appliance adapter / liner from the inside of the insert. You'll want to make sure you can pull the insert out from the fireplace before making the gaps smaller.
Also I don't know if you have a block off plate with that setup, you may want to consider doing that while your updating the front fireplace face.

Reactions: beermann
Looks like a real nice project, make sure you don't block your self in. Check to see how the existing liner connects to the insert, do you have to reach in on the outside of the insert to remove the screws from stove collar or are they screw into the appliance adapter / liner from the inside of the insert. You'll want to make sure you can pull the insert out from the fireplace before making the gaps smaller.
Also I don't know if you have a block off plate with that setup, you may want to consider doing that while your updating the front fireplace face.

Thanks for the input. Ive for some 22 guage sheet metal for the block off and this is a new installation with no previouse insert. Ill be ordering the inatallation flex pipe kit for wood stove when my reno is done. When i tile it up I'll still have room to pull the insert in and out. The new fake brick will be a removable shell. Connecting/disconnecting it will be difficult since the space will be so small....

Last edited:
I found a bunch of mouse turd on top of the fireplace and along the sides. Filled it all in with expanding foam.

I also need to make some sort of frame work for the back wall of the cubbies as the back of the walls are angled. What I mean is that the top of the cubby is 1-2" deep than the bottom, it's just how The bricks got put together. Should a cement in some board wood or just make a cement wall on top of the brick work with quick Crete cement mix. I don't want an angled wall hah.

I found a bunch of mouse turd on top of the fireplace and along the sides. Filled it all in with expanding foam.

I also need to make some sort of frame work for the back wall of the cubbies as the back of the walls are angled. What I mean is that the top of the cubby is 1-2" deep than the bottom, it's just how The bricks got put together. Should a cement in some board wood or just make a cement wall on top of the brick work with quick Crete cement mix. I don't want an angled wall hah.
Expanding foam is combustible, do you mean between the fireplace masonry brick line and the regular framing of the house?

Reactions: beermann
Expanding foam is combustible, do you mean between the fireplace masonry brick line and the regular framing of the house?

Yes. U think it needs further explaoning. On the outer edge of the masonry far anway from the minimum distance required from a combastable material where the masonry meets the wall.

In the photo it's behind the hammer and under the mantle and also to the bottom right where the dibres is laying on the floor. Turds all over. So I filled it in with expanding foam on both sides.

Just an fyi on the whole mouse thing. I installed ultra sonic sound repellents throughout the house and behind the fireplace (in the garage) and haunt caught a single mouse in months. This is ancient turd.

Last edited: