Installing chimney liner - flex or rigid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
I have a couple of stoves I picked up on Craigslist in the free section. We have a studio apartment behind our garage that has a fireplace that will get the Avalon Pendleton. I have to buy a liner for that one and I'll probably go with a flex liner because I installed them before and know how to do it.

The stove for our family room is a Lopi Freedom that I picked up for free on Craigslist. That stove was trashed. It was overtired, the damper and had the bricks were missing and they flue wasn't sealed properly so there was lots of rust. I spent an afternoon every weekend welding, grinding and painting the stove and put it place this weekend. I still have to clean up the blower for this stove but that won't take long.

I have enough rigid liner for the Lopi Freedom but I am worried that the top of the flu will leak. I like the way the flex liner flu caps went on the liners I installed. There was no possibilities of leaks. Most of the damage on the Lopi was from water that ran down the chimney because of leaks. What's the best was to go? Solid that I have or a flex liner?

I have enough solid liner for the flue and about 5' of SS flex to connect it to the stove. It would be good to use it but I don't want leaks.

Thanks for the help.

Rigid should have a top plate, storm collar & cap. No issues with leaking. I love my rigid.

I have a couple of stoves I picked up on Craigslist in the free section. We have a studio apartment behind our garage that has a fireplace that will get the Avalon Pendleton. I have to buy a liner for that one and I'll probably go with a flex liner because I installed them before and know how to do it.

The stove for our family room is a Lopi Freedom that I picked up for free on Craigslist. That stove was trashed. It was overtired, the damper and had the bricks were missing and they flue wasn't sealed properly so there was lots of rust. I spent an afternoon every weekend welding, grinding and painting the stove and put it place this weekend. I still have to clean up the blower for this stove but that won't take long.

I have enough rigid liner for the Lopi Freedom but I am worried that the top of the flu will leak. I like the way the flex liner flu caps went on the liners I installed. There was no possibilities of leaks. Most of the damage on the Lopi was from water that ran down the chimney because of leaks. What's the best was to go? Solid that I have or a flex liner?

I have enough solid liner for the flue and about 5' of SS flex to connect it to the stove. It would be good to use it but I don't want leaks.

Thanks for the help.
I prefer installing flex over rigid it is much easier. But if you have rigid i would use it. If done correctly there should be no leaking. And make sure you insulate the liners

I did some reading online and i see what the PO of the Lopi did wrong. The top plate was not sealed correctly. They should have used a chase cover. Instead they tried a flat top plate sealed with caulk. The seal failed and let water in. I have a terra cotta liner in the chimney that extends above the manonry. If I get a terra cotta top plate it shouldn't leak. I did get the top plate, clamp and rain collar along with the top plate and cap. I think I'll need to buy the terra cotta top plate and a elbow fir the stove connection and I should be ready to go.

The house where I picked up the Lopi was completely trashed. The yard had weeds 4' high and the inside was thrashed. The stove was worked over and given away as scrap. I put plenty of effort and sweat in it the summer. I'll be glad to use it this winter.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I did too bad for a lot of work and done stove paint invested in two wood stoves with liners.