Installing Chimney Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikewells85

Dec 17, 2020
USA
I am in the process of installing a wood burning insert in my old fireplace. I have some questions/concerns about the liner. The current chimney is a brick chimney from the original build, but we recently did a remodel which lead to the chimney terminating in the new attic and being extended through the roof with a stainless steel extension.

My plan is to run the liner down the extension, through the old brick chimney to the insert. I want to know if this is ok to do and also if there is anything special I should consider with this. For example, putting some special insulation around the cap at the top of the old chimney etc.

The original chimney appears to be unlined, I can see brick and mortar when looking up the chimney. It was used as a gas fireplace most recently, but was an open fireplace before that. The home was built in 1910.

I still need to get on the roof and take a closer look, but looking for guidance before I break out the ladder.

Chimney cap, the pipe on the left is the one I would drop the liner down. Seems to be about 10", maybe 12", in diameter.

20201121_145203.jpg

The left side pipe is how it exits. It has the suitable amount of height from the roof to correctly draw I think.

20201121_143352.jpg

Your plan is sound, & the right way to do it.
What liner do you plan on using? The manufacturer may
recommend top plate in order to secure the liner at the top.
they may also require a different cap...
You will need insulation at the top _rock wool is referred - just under the cap &
you will either need insulation or a block-off plate in the damper
area at the bottom...,

The liner will also need to be insulated atleast in the masonry section. Is that stainless chimney air cooled or just insulated?

Reactions: DAKSY
Thanks for the response. I haven't selected a liner yet, but something along the lines of this. If you have any recommendation on liner, I'd be interested to know.

I had some other feedback from people who were concerned that the existing pipe seems to be a type b pipe intended for gas. Assuming the 6" liner fits, do you see any issue dropping the liner through the type b pipe?

The liner will also need to be insulated atleast in the masonry section. Is that stainless chimney air cooled or just insulated?

I don't know yet, I need to get up there. I assume your line of reasoning is that the air cooled chimney has an inner pipe that will reduce the space to drop the liner?

I don't know yet, I need to get up there. I assume your line of reasoning is that the air cooled chimney has an inner pipe that will reduce the space to drop the liner?
No air cooled is more complicated because you have to maintain that cooling airflow

So I have finally got on the roof to check out the situation with the existing chimney.

You can see from the images below that it is a type b gas pipe that is 8" inside diameter. More than enough space to run the liner, but the question is how to cap it off. Reading the literature about the type b pipe I see that the rain cap is not suitable for wood burning, so that will need to be replaced. However, I am struggling to find examples of connecting these kit rain caps to round chimneys, all examples I have seen assume I would be connecting to a square brick chimney.

I guess I could always cut the square flashing of the rain cap and wrap it around the round chimney? Looking for something a bit more elegant though. Any ideas?

UPDATE: After a bit more image searching I found the picture below. This is what I think I need to do...looks like a reducer is used to connect the rain cap to the steel pipe.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 17.36.19.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 17.36.38.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 17.36.45.jpeg1608739929586.png

Last edited:
So I have finally got on the roof to check out the situation with the existing chimney.

You can see from the images below that it is a type b gas pipe that is 8" inside diameter. More than enough space to run the liner, but the question is how to cap it off. Reading the literature about the type b pipe I see that the rain cap is not suitable for wood burning, so that will need to be replaced. However, I am struggling to find examples of connecting these kit rain caps to round chimneys, all examples I have seen assume I would be connecting to a square brick chimney.

I guess I could always cut the square flashing of the rain cap and wrap it around the round chimney? Looking for something a bit more elegant though. Any ideas?

UPDATE: After a bit more image searching I found the picture below. This is what I think I need to do...looks like a reducer is used to connect the rain cap to the steel pipe.

View attachment 270172View attachment 270173View attachment 270174View attachment 270175
Honestly with that being bvent I would just replace it with 6" class a pipe transitioning to your liner at the masonry.

Ok, so I will plan to remove the B type and replace with Class A. For ease of access it seems the Selkirk range is suitable. Also some of the components (brackets etc) will work for both the type B and Sure Temp range from Selkirk.

My plan would be to run the flex liner from the appliance to the top of the masonry chimney, then place an anchor on top and run the sure temp through the roof and out.

1608996926586.png

Question is, how to connect the flex pipe to the sure temp pipe. My first thought was to connect to the "A" marked piece on the Anchor Plate, but I am not sure if this will work. I haven't been able to find parts that seem to be designed to connect Selkirk Flex Liner to Selkirk Sure Temp.

Ok, so I will plan to remove the B type and replace with Class A. For ease of access it seems the Selkirk range is suitable. Also some of the components (brackets etc) will work for both the type B and Sure Temp range from Selkirk.

My plan would be to run the flex liner from the appliance to the top of the masonry chimney, then place an anchor on top and run the sure temp through the roof and out.

View attachment 270332

Question is, how to connect the flex pipe to the sure temp pipe. My first thought was to connect to the "A" marked piece on the Anchor Plate, but I am not sure if this will work. I haven't been able to find parts that seem to be designed to connect Selkirk Flex Liner to Selkirk Sure Temp.
I don't know if selkirk makes the proper transition plate. You would have to check with them