Installing Chimney: Support Box or Simple Roof Support Kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

camhead

Jan 17, 2018
Fayetteville, WV
Hey all, I'm putting finally getting around to hooking up the wood stove I bought this winter, and have been chatting with Selkirk Customer Service and browsing around Amazon for parts.

From the stove it will be a straight-up pipe 11.5 feet, to a simple 22 degree pitched cathedral ceiling. Exterior pipe will be rising six feet above the roof. I'll be using external braces to support the chimney, too. It's a shingled roof, but we'll be installing a metal roof shortly thereafter.

So here's the question: do I use a support box, or just go with the simple ceiling support kit like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009SQG3I/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Selkirk Customer Service said either would be fine, it was mostly a matter of aesthetics. I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to know about either/or. Thanks in advance.

I prefer the ceiling support box over the roof support. Either works well though.

I've used the Pitched Ceiling Support, but that is just a personal preference. Keep in mind that the Pitched Ceiling Kit, you will have the Stainless Class A pipe protruding thru the ceiling, so some of it will be visible.
The Back Stove Pipe Adapter that connects to the SS pipe is 15" in length. I would recommend a Telescopic black pipe to be used, for an easier installation, no matter which system you use.

Cool, so it really is just an aesthetic thing. I don't mind the stainless meeting the black pipe in view at all, and yes, I'm planning on using the telescoping segments. Thanks for the responses!