Installing Fireplace Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cards66

May 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I moved my wood stove insert from one fireplace to another. I took the glass fireplace doors out of one and I am moving them to the other. When i took them out they were just nailed into the mortar through the brackets on the sides of the door frame. I was wondering how I should go about installing in the other fireplace? Can I just nail them into the mortar or do I need to drill into it to first? Any guidance would be helpful. THanks.

Most of them come with some sort of clamp system. If not available, I would drill and then bolt/screw it in - no nails. There is never a tremendous load on the doors but you want it to be safe and secure.

Most of them come with some sort of clamp system. If not available, I would drill and then bolt/screw it in - no nails. There is never a tremendous load on the doors but you want it to be safe and secure

I agree, it should have a clamp system that pulls it against the masonry opening. If not use either a tapcon concrete screw or an expanding type of masonry anchor. Do not nail it in as it wont hold and will eventually fail

Drop by HD or Lowes and look at a new one on display. A good look at the clamp system will be worth more than 1000 words.

I will take a look at it when I get home. However, the doors are probably 40 years old and it has been nailed into the mortar for that long I would guess. The other fireplace is in our den so no one is hardly ever in there. Doesn't have to be a professional job. i just want it in there to help block any cold air coming down the chimney. Thanks for the suggestions.

Cards66, just remember that the doors usually have a vented open grill area at the bottom to let combustion air into the fire when the doors are closed. That means cold air can come in from the chimney . Dont use the doors as your only way to block cold air from getting in , although they will help if used in conjuction with your damper. Im sure you know this but just in case.

I just repaired a damper for a friend and she was using the doors as a draft stop and just leaving the damper open because the doors were there. The cold air was still coming in through the vents.

I am closing the damper and just putting the doors in as extra protection. Not too mention to keep my 2 year old out of the fireplace. A friend of mine who is a chimeny sweep recomended getting a piece of stainless steel and placing it over the top of the chimney and then putting a heavy rock or brick on it to seal it up better. Anyone done this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.