Installing insert in heatform.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
MO
I will be installing an insert into my heatform fireplace soon. I know I need to cut out the heat exchange tubes and damper for a full liner. With this project I plan to reface my fireplace with veneer stone, its currently brick. My question is can I brick the vents in the fireplace so I can stone over the whole thing? I will be insulating the firebox so to help with heat loss as much as possible. With the fireplace not being functional any longer, is it safe to cover the vents?

Seems fine to me. I cut my damper for the liner but did not have exchanger tubes. I left the vents as-is because they were on the side of the fireplace and blend in well.

You'll be fine, have at it. Although they will still convect some heat, and be semi functional if you let them stay. The right grates may look nice with the new stone, something cast iron maybe.
I still have mine and plan on leaving them when I stone my brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.