installing old stove in old chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zacharytn1

Jan 25, 2014
tennessee
I recently purchased and old house, one story with a basement and a chimney. the chimney is in the middle of the house and previously had an open fireplace in the basement and in the first floor living room. the chimney is double flue, all brick. The house was built in 1925. It has a gas furnace in the basement whereas the exhaust was plumbed into the back of the chimney sharing the basement fireplace flue. The living room fireplace was bricked over, but they bricked in a 6" brick hole for I'm assuming a wood stove. I was given a nice little wood stove with a glass front, real nice looking but a bit older, I think it has a sticker from the 80's on it. The original hearth or floor brick is there, but I'm going to have to extend it to some distance as the heater door will be right at its edge meeting carpet

My question is what is some pointers on plugging up my little wood stove to this hole so I can enjoy wood heat for my home. Any pointers? Thanks for your help.

Welcome. The chimney will need a stainless liner if it is not tile lined. What is the stove make and model? Pictures are always welcome. We may spot issues that are not apparent.

I wouldn't use the basement fireplace with the furnace flue hooked to it.

it is a vermont castings resolute. the clay pipe they used for the hole stops about 5" from the back of the chimney, and they filled it in with something so theres nowhere for the smoke to go but up. im not sure theres enough room to pull the sleeve through without gutting the chimney right at the hole. IMG_1369.jpg IMG_1366.jpg

i wasnt going to use the basement, It is unfinished so i think the concrete walls would soak up and dissipate most of my heat, and at the start of the winter my gas furnace went down so i used the basement fireplace and the skoke started coming out my furnace so i had to stuff old shirts in it to block it up. and it didnt work very well anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing get the chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional sweep to determine it's safety for wood burning. Do you know the inner measurement of the chimney throat in the 2nd picture?

The Resolute is a good stove if it is an earlier version. It will need more hearth in front of it to protect the carpet. Plan on a hearth extension of16" in front of the stove door.

Status
Not open for further replies.