Installing Pellet insert in a brick fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy 35

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2007
Hayward,Ca
I was told that you can stick 5 to 6 feet stainless steel used for pellet stoves up a brick fireplace and wrap the pipe with fiberglass to stop the draft from come in to the house. is this true?? Thanks

My answer would be NO.

It may work but the other bet is that it is most likely not to building code depending on your location and you would prolly need a blockoff plate.

One of the other guys or Elk will come in and tell you in detail but I would say nope.

Yes, you can do that. You can do lots of things, but is it right, not entirely. Follow the manual.

The correct method is to have a metal block-off plate through which the pellet exhaust pipe passes. The problem with a short stick up the flue is that you will get a lot of ash accumulation above the plate. I ran our pellet vent all the way to the top of the chimney, sealed at the top also.

BeGreen said:
..I ran our pellet vent all the way
to the top of the chimney, sealed at the top....

We did the same as BeGreen. Full liner is the only way to go imo.

One other problem you will have is if you dont seal off the top of your chimney
water will come down Follow the pipe to the stove and short out all the electronics

I have Rewired about 10 stoves in 18 years because of this kind of half @ss installation.

Excellent point Rod.

Yep, full liner to the top with a cap and everything. Anything less would be foolhardy.

Let's say Andy 35 installs a full liner to the top of the chimney and a block off plate. What should he use to insulate above the block off plate, fiberglass, ceramic?

Ceramic fiber insulation would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.