Installing Stone Veneer on Wall with Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks!

This is the outside corner where the two cement boards meet and will go under the corner stone veneer. I was wondering if I needed a corner bead, use tape and thinset or do nothing at all.

Also on the inside corner if the rock will cover it then just caulk it to keep spiders and other bugs from going in and out. I misunderstood before and thought it would an edge with no stone.

Just finished up this install. It's the travi gray same manufacturer of the sierra you are looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_2882.JPG
    IMG_2882.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: Doc C
Also you might want to reconsider doing that outside corner. The corner pieces of will double the cost of the project

I'm not a mason or a taper but why would you need to tape the durock to the sheetrock? Also MSI makes outside corners for the ledgestone you mentioned earlier. Just make sure the corner is ridged before the durock goes on.

My thinking was for normal inside corners where it's drywall to drywall or cement board to cement board, you tape them so why wouldn't you for drywall to cement board?

Also on the inside corner if the rock will cover it then just caulk it to keep spiders and other bugs from going in and out. I misunderstood before and thought it would an edge with no stone.

Got it!

Just finished up this install. It's the travi gray same manufacturer of the sierra you are looking at.

That looks great!

Also you might want to reconsider doing that outside corner. The corner pieces of will double the cost of the project

Iif we weren't doing that corner, we wouldn't do the adjacent wall either. We were originally going to do only the wall with the fireplace but wasn't sure how to finish the outside corner so it'll look natural so we decided just to do that corner and adjacent wall too.

I had the same thought about finishing the edge. But when I saw that each outside corner piece was $20+ per piece I just decided to put a thin piece of wood trim on the edge and painted it wall color. It blends right in and saved be $350.

Also either rent or borrow a wet saw with a sliding table. That ledger stone is easy to cut but so fragile. I've installed thousands of sq feet of it. Super easy to install though. Most important part is getting the first course level. After that it goes up fast. That install took me less than 3 hours. Time is in the prep.